I got 2 goose babies for Mother's Day and have a question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenlady08, May 10, 2011.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I already have 2 female Embdens that are just now a year old. I got the babies on Saturday and set them up in the goose coop with a large dog kennel (for safety until larger). Right away one of my females has been at the kennel and when I let the babies out I noticed she is sticking very close to them. She has hissed and attacked one of my 3 month goats and grabbed my nephews shorts.

Is it possible that she is trying to be a Momma to these babies or is she just gearing up to hurt them?

I am not letting them out of the kennel until: 1) they are larger and 2) I know that she is really trying to be mom and not trying to hurt them

Any thoughts would be helpful and everything I have read this sounds like Gwen is trying to be a mommy.

thanks

Lisa

Here is a picture of the babies and the possible Momma:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. Addicted2Quack

Addicted2Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Hi there,
    I have a pair of geese that will adopt anything. It is actually better for the goslings if another does adopt them rather then being raised by us. They get so much more exercise and more greens. Usually (in my experience) geese are not aggressive to youngsters. I have never had that in any of my flocks. If she is interested in them and protecting them, just watch them for a while and see how she does. When we first take the babies out to be adopted we have to hide otherwise they still want to follow us instead of the geese. Then in a days time they get bonded to the goose and tend not to follow us anymore. Here is a picture a few years back of him raising different ages of goslings. I also think there might be more pictures on my site. I have heard of others having geese that will adopt babies. I think if your goose was going to be mean she would have already, but good to keep an eye out. Give her more time each day with them and then let her have them. Just my opinion..hope it helped.

[​IMG]

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Addicted

Thank you! I am thinking you are correct. I have also been thinking that if she was going to attack them she would of by now. the other female is not as interested in them but she does come up to nip at them which I don't like at all. I keep them in their cage while I am not at home and at night so they are safe. I will give it about a week and then she should prove to me that they are safe with her. I have a touch of OCD and worry about the babies a litttle much but if I don't noone else will. lol

OH I love the picture you posted. Such a beautiful goose family. I think they are gorgeous!!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by