I got 2 issues I need some help with.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gpamela3499, Mar 29, 2009.

1. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    1 I cut the beak of the little sultan (4 Weeks) I have with cross beak I was careful not to cut his tongue but it is bleeding more than I expected any way to stop the bleeding ? It seems that when he eats he opens it up again. When it bleeds the 2 week old cochins I have peak at it. I really need to know how to stop the bleeding.

2 I just got a new chick. She has "broken neck" disease? I know nothing about it any advise? We live good, eat etc.

Thanks every one in advance

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    feed him soft food and keep him away from the others til he stops bleeding...sorry, cant help ya with the other one.. [​IMG]

3. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thanks
    I did try moistening his food but he refuses it. I will try tomorrow again though just in case

4. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thanks
    I did try moistening his food but he refuses it. I will try tomorrow again though just in case

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    no problem..i wish i could give you more help...[​IMG]

6. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    I use qwik stop. flour is a home remedy you an use to stop bleeding. Press into the wound. This works on nails cut into the qwik. It should work on the beak.

7. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

8. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Yes, the Kwik Stop you can buy at pet stores or the Petco/Petsmart near the dog nail cutters. Flour is usually used as a temporory method until the stores open.

This yellow powder Kwik Stop is VERY expensive for how little you get but it doesn't take much to stop the bleeding. It is excellent to have on hand whenever you have animals around. Be very careful with it because if it gets on your clothes, you may have that stain for the life of the garment. Pinch a little between your thumb and forefinger and then press onto the beak for the count of ten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by