I got 5 speckled sussex....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pdsavage, Jun 8, 2008.

1. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I got them at the small animal sale 2 roosters 3 pullets.My daughter has the camera in Mississippi so i cant post pics yet,unless i bring em in and put them on my web cab...
    So i think ill make a seprate coop inside the coop for them since i see there on the endangered list but what to do with the extra rooster.maby i should get more pullets.They make the cutest sounds and do not seam as skitish as my other chickens. Anyone else raise speckled sussex?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I hatched my first ones a couple of months ago and have more eggs in the bator now. So far I really like them. Very inquisitive and friendly chicks.

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    They are wonderful chickens, the favorite of my dh (I try not to be partial). As Katy said, they are very inquisitive and friendly. I have one that has just started following me around the yard along with my dog, the 2 of them look so funny trailing behind me. These are chickens that I didn't handle overly much as chicks b/c my dog was a bit jealous; now that they are grown she could care less but the chickens, esp. the SS have become very friendly on their own. If you are going to free range, they are EXCELLENT foragers...and of course beautiful birds.

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear they are great birds. I plan on getting some the next time I order.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

They are some of our favorite birds. Very curious and not skittish at all. We really like them a lot.

6. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Love, love, love my SS!

7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    The best word I can think of to describe my SS girls is sweet. They are loose feathered and feel like big puff balls when you pick them up!

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I like SS, I really do. They are sweet and gorgeous and grow to a nice size. The bummer for us, though, is the roos went sort of crazy when they hit puberty. I don't know what happened. They became total a**holes and it was depressing. I really wanted to keep one, but it just was inevitable. They are in the icebox now [​IMG]

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    buster...
    what kind of temperment do you roos have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by