I got a baby bull calf (NOW WITH PICTURE)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dfunnyfarm, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I got a 4 day old bull calf last night, for FREE. He is such a cute little thing. I tried to post pictures but I have encountered problems. ( I don't understand how to load them). He was bought by a couple who's cow lost her calf and she rejected him. They didn't want to mess with bottle feeding and now he has the scours. We started him on electolites and milk replacer. From what I can tell he has never drank from a bottle and it is really messy feeding him. We havn't got him to take much at any one time, but we just go out every couple of hours and try again. He was trying to buck and play this morning when we went out. He was very happy to see us. Hopefully we will get him well before long and he will be very happy.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    yeah yeah yeah! I so want cows, but not where we live. Congrats on the new addition!!! [​IMG]

3. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
  4. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    why oh why with the picture in the post thing......[​IMG] I've already convinced my hubby we need goats....maybe a mini-cow wouldn't be much of a stretch!!![​IMG]

5. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
  6. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    AWWW He is adorable!!!!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Raising a calf is so fun. Just be careful not to make too much of a pet out of him because he will be huge as an adult and still think he's small.

I have a heifer calf that is 10 months old that I bottle fed and she tries to play with me. It's funny, but very, very scary because she doesn't realize how big she is.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    try some raw goats milk on him, it'll clear up the scours.

He's purty. I bet he'll taste good or make a nice ox! Or just a half ton bovine pet... lol.

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    We raise cows. Keep the calf hydrated with electrolytes and he will need antibiotics to fight the infection that is causing the scours. The bacteria from the scours will stay in the ground, so try and keep his pen clean.

There are pails with nipples on them, use those instead of a bottle (if that is what you are using).

call your vet and get some info on what you will need to treat him. You can buy most of the antibiotics at farm stores...TSC, Fleet Farm, Southern Ag..etc

Good luck with him. Babies calves are sooo sute

10. Cyberbmxer

Cyberbmxer Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    Lebanon, Connecticut
    I am on my 5th baby calf in the last year. I put the milk replacement in a bucket. Never use bottles. Feed milk replacement in the morning and evening. I also give them a scoop of 16% course grain in the evening. They are lots of fun. You will be amazed at how fast they grow. good luck and enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by