I got a big surprise! fertile eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by realsis, Feb 26, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I just purchased my new silkie pullet yesterday
    She laid an egg for me right away.i was excited an called the breeder i purchased her from.she explained to me that she didn't think she would lay for me being a new place for at least two weeks then told me the eggs are FERTILE! The night before her breeding cock bread with her! So the next few eggs will be fertile! Well i got a little giant forced air incubator and I'm going to give it a go at hatching some eggs! She is a beautiful girl and the cock was show quality as well. Here is a picture of my pullet
    [​IMG]Father was also true blue. Wish me luck!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I wish you luck. Hope that she continues laying, but very frequently after changing environment they will lay 1 to 3 eggs that were 'in process' and then stop for a bit before resuming egg laying. Hope that you get several more!

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thats great!!!!!!!! Keep us updated!! :)

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    set the eggs aside in a cool room till you collect 4-6 and then place them in incubator, rather than as they come.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    she should lay fertile eggs for a couple of weeks.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    High fertility for up to two weeks, moderate fertility up to three weeks, and some fertility up to four weeks.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I didn't realize she would be fertile that long! Oh my! Well, wish me luck on this whole new adventure!! I really do Hope they hatch! What a Suprise!

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Put the eggs in a egg carton fat side up as you collect them. Prop the side of carton up on a book or something and change the propped side twice or three times a day to turn them. It really is best to collect all eggs you plan to set and incubate them all at once. I collect eggs for two weeks prior to incubating and have well over 80% hatch rate turning them twice a day while they are stored.

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    it is nice that all is not lost if you lose a rooster. I had a favorite roo that I lost then next few days collected his eggs, and can proudly say I still have the off spring of that roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by