i got a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by incubatingisfun, Jan 4, 2010.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    i got a broody hen should i candle her eggs very happy

2. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    How long has she been sitting on them?

Congrats!

3. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    4 days i screened her in too keep the other chickens from steeling her nests

4. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    that's great!

I got one too and don't have any fertile eggs for her. I keep taking eggs away from her that she gets from the other girls and then she sits on nothing. Is this going to go on for 21 days? or will she figure out that she is not going to have chicks?
    thanks

5. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    probably

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Congratulations! It's fun having broody hens. I have a broody serama hen right now. She's been sitting for about two weeks and two of her eggs look pretty developed, so I'm hoping in a week or so there will be chicks! [​IMG] The others are fertile and growing, too, but they're newer and would take longer to hatch... I think I'm going to stick those four in my incubator I'm going to purchase tonight. [​IMG]

I say, sure, candle her eggs. [​IMG] It's worth a look to see if anything is growing! The candling of my serama hen's eggs was my first time candling, and I was amazed at how easy it was to tell if there was an embryo or not. Very cool watching them grow over time!

7. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    yeah shes a partridge cochin bantam i foun out she was broody the hard way went to collect eggs stuck my hand under her and got pecked 3 times

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by