I got a broody! *Need advice*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    This is my first time that I have a broody and I really don't know what to do. Should I move her so that she won't get bothered by the other hens? how do I feed her if she gets mad when I come close? how do I remove the bad eggs (in the day or night and how?) any advice would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Got any fertile eggs? Let her hatch some! Just make sure she gets off her nest at least once a day to eat, drink, and poo. Maybe you could buy a day- old chick and make her think she hatched it. There are plenty of threads here on how to break broodiness, but they seem like a lot of work. If you want her to start laying again, though, you'll want to get started. I have a Silkie hen that doesn't lay eggs anyway that went broody. I just took an egg out of the incubator and stuffed it under her. It hatched in three days, and she was back out running with the flock!

3. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I would let her hatch out eggs! [​IMG] You can move her to a secure location if you are going to have her hatch. Just like the other person said, just make sure she eats and drinks. Mine would run down and eat and drink real fast and then get back to the eggs.

To break the broodiness you can put the hen in a cage with a wire bottom. I was told to do this when I had a hen go broody and I didn't want her too. They say the air up under her bottom breaks her from the broodiness. Oh..you have to put the cage up on something too so the air circulates under her. It did work for me 1 time. [​IMG]

4. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Yup just like all the above, move her to a secure place, like a shed ( thats what i am currently doing), give her food , water and some moving space, and if you are keeping her in a shed or something make sure they are free from rats ! Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by