I GOT A CHICK!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pw_quiltworks, Feb 22, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I am so excited. I got one chick in the early afternoon. 4 out of 12 eggs were good early on. I think the others might have frozen before they got here. I am not sure if the other three will hatch. I will wait 4 more days. One is out of the shell and running around the incubator. How long does it need to stay in the incubator? I have my brooder up and running. Nothing fancy. Just a heat lamp and a plastic tote. Temp around 96-98. Is that the right temp? I have put down newspapers with some paper towels on the top of that. I won't be able to get feed today. How soon should I give it something? I was thinking scrambled egg or something until tomorrow. Dh will pick some chick feed on his run. It's a cute little peeper. I have 12 more eggs in the incubator and need to get the chick out asap. They wont hatch until March 4th or so.

I got day olds last year. This is the first one I have hatched from an incubator. YAY!!! [​IMG]

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Congrats!

Leave him in til he dries off at least. Then get him out as quickly as possible. Opening the bator can cause humidity issues and make it difficult for the others to hatch.

I think that may be a little hot for your brooder. I usually try to have mine about 90. If you don't have feed try boiling and egg and mashing it up for them. Just make sure they have water. They don't have to have any food for the first day but I always give mine some.

3. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks. I did let it dry off and is now it's in the brooder at a lower temp. Thanks for the info.

[​IMG]

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Aww, he's CUTE! Looks like a little calico kitten!

5. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    He is a cutie! I hope you have at least one more to hatch so he won't be lonely. If not maybe put a stuffed animal in with him to cuddle with.

6. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Feather dusters work good, too! [​IMG]

7. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awwww.....what a cutie! Congrats! [​IMG]

8. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Another one hatched during the night. Two more to go!!!

9. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] Go, chickies, go!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

P.S. Your BYC page is awesome!!! You and your dh are BOTH extremely talented!!!! Absolutely gorgeous quilts and doilies and your house is to die for!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  10. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I am so excited. Another one hatched. Now there are three. One more to go. Has not broke shell yet. The egg rocks and rolls. Maybe I should put in the ipod for it. [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks looking at my page. Husband is a lot more talented than I. He is a true handyman. A Mr. Fixit.

Hopefully the last chick wont hatch until tonight. We have 12+ more inches of snow. I have to go out and snowblow it. The drive is 1/4 mi long. YIKKES. It aught to take me 3 hours. Thank God I don't have to shovel it by hand anymore. [​IMG] Dh works I play with the machines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by