1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I got a egg eater!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkielover88, Aug 1, 2014.

1. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chirping

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Not sure which one, but we have tried about everything! Supplements, fake eggs, golf balls,change in feed, and calcium chips....but still finding ether nasty boxes or holes in eggs... I'm pretty sure other hens are catching on. Any ideas? I was thinking about putting a game cam to try to catch the hen.

2. Chicks4fun2

Chicks4fun2 Chirping

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    I heard someone say something about a soap egg...have u tried this?

A hollowed out egg filled with hand soap, cover the hole with tape = yuck!:tongue

Haven't tried it myself ...just hoping I don't ever need to good luck!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  3. 25eggfarm

25eggfarm In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    Your chicken or chickens have egg eat wish is a habit that is nearly inposabal to get rid of the only think you can do is get a nesting box that take the egg after it's Been lade to a holding basket that you can buy. or you can get rid of the hen or hen that are doing it.:cd

4. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chirping

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    I like the soap idea lol, but I don't want it to hurt them....whatever it try works for a few weeks the. They figure it out, I have a feeling it's one of my austrolorp hens, we haven't ever had the problem before until they came. We got them from a hatchery, but I have seen one check out the boxes after I take eggs out, and she will pick around like she looking for something, but I do clean out the boxes after any broken egg I find

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: