I got a French Black Copper maran!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brigitte_the_leghorn, Jul 14, 2011.

1. brigitte_the_leghorn

brigitte_the_leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have named her Morrissey. She is beautiful and sweet! So excited for saddle-leather colored eggs. It's so hard to find black maran pullets down here in southern California and finally found someone hatching! I'll post pictures soon, until then, Maran owners please feel free to enlighten me [​IMG] Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Ohhh, you're sooo lucky! Enjoy!! [​IMG]

3. brigitte_the_leghorn

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Thanks so much! They've been near impossible to find

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi got mine from a lady in Yucaipa Ca. Mine is a pullet, I also bought a blue maran from her... [​IMG] but it got out when I was gone and a cat killed the baby, going down tomorrow to get another.

5. brigitte_the_leghorn

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I am sooo sorry, My dear RIR Duchess was also killed by a cat I believe [the claw marks were indisputable!]. They say they don't attack chickens most of the time but I've had an opposite experience. I'm glad you are going to get a replacement, but I totally feel for your loss. On the bright side, soon you will give another happy hen a home who will lay beautiful eggs. Feel free to post info for the hatcher in Yucaipa! Always looking for good references for pullets. [​IMG]

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Congrats on your new MARANS! The breed name is Marans, with the "S" always on the end, whether you are talking about one chicken or 100! There are many Marans breeders in CA. and all up and down the west coast. Check with the breed clubs, watch the auctions on BYC, and go to one of the Marans threads on BYC and find breeders everywhere willing to set you up with quality birds! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by