1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got a great photo of my poor chickens feet. any ideas what the problem is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tanya34, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Tanya34

Tanya34 New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    [​IMG]Hi everyone.
    I've had such great support from you all before and I've read so much about chicken feet problems but I've no idea what's going on with my hens feet.ive included a photo of the healthy hens feet too so you can see the differences. What do you think I should try? And will the healthy hen also get the scales? The skin is very dry and powdery.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Looks like scaley leg mites. I use mineral oil, in a container deep enough to put her foot ad leg in all the way up to the feathers on her legs. Twice a week for a month will smother the mites.

Mites left untreated will cause her toes to die and fall off!

1 person likes this.
  3. Tanya34

Tanya34 New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks, I've been reading up a lot more and you're right. That's what it looks like. I feel relatively confident that we can sort out the problem but I'm quite worried about the 3 week old chicks that are now in close proximity to the old roosting place that those hens uses to use. Do I need the treat the roosting pole and that coop too? What about the chicks? They're so young. What preventative measures can I use for them?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How is your hen now?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by