I got a Great Pyrenees!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Fleabuskitty, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    My mother's co-worker has all kinds of birds (various pheasants, East African Crowned Cranes, wood ducks and Mandarin ducks, chickens, button quail, and a bunch of other awesome stuff) and breeds Chinese Crested dogs. He apparently had a friend out of state who he picked up a Great Pyrenees puppy from a breeder for, and they liked him so much they decided to get their own (the half-brother of the first puppy). But then the friend backed out D: And he asked my mom if she wanted the puppy last week. I've been wanting a LGD for a while, so we took him. He is 4 months old. He was living with birds before and doesn't bother my chickens at all, he gets along very well with my other dogs, and Jackie (5 year old Border Collie mix) likes him because he is more playful than Dan (9 year old Corgi mix). We named him Homer. He is living outside full-time (the other dogs are mostly indoor dogs). He is very smart; he has already learned "sit". He's crazy huge already, too.
    I have a couple questions, though.
    1. He is eating 4Health brand dog food. He is eating 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening, which is what the bag says to feed 50# dogs, but I'm not sure if that is right because he's growing. My mom's co-worker was feeding him 4Health, and Dan and Jackie eat that too, so I know the brand is alright.
    2. We want to get goats in the future, but it won't happen for another year or so. However, our neighbors have 60-something goats, so I was thinking that I could take him to visit the goats so that he will be used to them. Will he still "bond" with goats when he's over a year old, or does it only work with puppies? He would know what goats are by then, but...

Here are some photos of Homer!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my other two dogs because they're cute, too [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Congrats! I wish DH would let me have one. What a cutie!

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't know the answers but did want to say that he is a cutie! I would be concerned that if you did take him to your neighbor's goats that he might decide to go back on his own to see them.

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Oh my gosh he's already bigger then your 5 year old dog! WOW! They call that a puppy haha! We are so used to our little pugs :):lol:

5. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Skyesrocket, we could blindfold him on the way there so he couldn't figure out how to get back [​IMG] I'm not too concerned about that, we'll be putting some electric wires around the chain-link fence soon because Jackie likes to dig.
    He is probably the biggest puppy I've ever seen other than my friend's Labradane. He's probably gonna get to play with the neighbors' Redbone Coonhound puppy soon, but I'm kind of scared to take him over there because I'm pretty sure that cuteness levels that high can be fatal [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by