I got a job!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by vanilla.exe, Jun 28, 2011.

1. vanilla.exe

vanilla.exe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I had been unemployed for a year and a month. 3 weeks ago after I really buckled down and finally started getting interviews, I got hired at a bed and breakfast. Now I'm a housekeeper [​IMG] It's definitely a good job for me. Not too far from the house, I can listen to my mp3 player while I work, I don't have to wear tucked in shirts (I hate tucked in shirts!!!) oh yeah and they pay me [​IMG] I'm so happy. Things between the bf and I were getting very strained with him being the only bacon bringer, not to mention I was depressed at never being able to afford the things I need.

I also get tips, and a word of wisdom: when you stay somewhere, your housekeeper does a lot more than you see or think they do for you. Like with any service type position, you should always leave a tip! Even if it's just a few bucks, it's very cool to walk into the room and see some appreciation. In the past I always only left a tip if I asked for something, but now I see how wrong that was, there's a lot that goes into making a room presentable for people to stay there.

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Congrats!!!
    [​IMG]

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    woot!

4. vanilla.exe

Thanks guys! My chickens appreciate me having a job too because now they get mealworms ^_^

5. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Congrats! [​IMG]

6. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Great news!!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow, great news! I am really happy for you, it's a huge change and so good! I worked as a house cleaner/housekeeper for many years. It's hard work, but really nice to know that you are really making a difference with someone's day - and their stay.

There were some folks that I even cooked for- that was tough, but a fun challenge, especially since I didn't know diddly about cooking. Best of luck to you!

8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Congrats! I am also working at a bed and breakfast, housekeeping. This is the hardest job I have ever had. This is the place I work at. Baileybunkhouse.com. Good luck at your new job.

9. vanilla.exe

Thanks everyone!

@ranch: I find it very similar to what I was doing for free anyway before I moved (volunteering at an aquarium) except the hours are shorter and there's no fish, lol.

@turney: Hard work builds character, as they say.

10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Congratulations on the new job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by