i got a little ahead of myself

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewChickenMom, May 27, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, i bought my first incubator off ebay and then i bid and won 24+ eggs. PROBLEM: eggs are being sent today through priority mail and i have no idea when the bator is going to get here. i bought a really nice incubator and i'm really excited to use it. i think the eggs are going to get here before the bator, i can go to tsc and get a still air incubator and a turner, but i'd rather use my fancy, shiny bator.

can the eggs wait for the bator? or can i transfer them to the new bator once it gets here and gets set up?

[​IMG] i'm such a newbie to chickens, but i'm so excited!! i've learned my lesson

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Eggs start to lose viability after a week, but you'd be shocked to hear some of the eggs people on here have hatched... LOL

Just set them in a cool place like a basement and either raise one end of the carton 3 times a day, switching the end each time, or, what I did was just open the carton and tip each egg towards the other side. Make sure they are small end down and large end (air cell) up.

Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

edited to add... IMHO yes, you can switch them once your temps and humidity stabilize to the same, or close, readings..... many people here have 2 bators... one for incubating and one for hatching and they switch the eggs to the hatcher on day 18. Don't see why you can't switch them to the new bator when it gets there.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Who did you buy the incubator through? What bator did you buy?

4. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I did exactly the same thing, although with only 6 eggs. My hatch rate was zero, BUT I learned so much along the way that I don't mind.

Here's what I suggest. Go and pick up a second 'bator. Don't bother with a turner. Set that 'bator up as soon as possible. Get it up to temperature. Figure out exactly how much water it needs for your incubating humidity (40-50%), and even figure out how you will add or remove water if necessary. Then add enough water to get it up to hatching humidity (60-70%). Just so you know how it works.

Put your won eggs into the 'bator (back to incubating humidity) until the new one comes and turn them daily ...... Ooops, fly in the ointment: maybe you can't be home to do this? Okay, in that case you really might need to get the turner.... Anyway, when the new bator comes, get it all set up and running smoothly before you move your first batch of eggs into it.

Keep that first bator to use as a hatcher if/as/when (when!!!!!) you have staggered batches of incubating eggs. You really will need it, even if you don't really need the second turner.

By the way, I did not do this, and I highly recommend it: figure out how to do your candling before you have to practice on your new eggs. It's hard on the eggs if you don't do it right, and it's frustrating not to know what you are supposed to be seeing. On the other hand, if you end up having to learn on those 24 eggs, and if you don't get them to hatch -- just remember that education was never cheap.

Susan

By the way, this is NOT what I did. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a skilllet and tried to set that up as my "other" 'bator. I can't recommend that particular route for a starter route. I might try it again after I am more confident, but it didn't work for me with my very small collection of skills and data.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    SusanJ!! thank you so much for the information! i will go grab the incubator today and get it set up and running. i'm so sorry about your 6 eggs, hopefully though they have saved my 24 eggs!! [​IMG] i'll let you know!!

coffeegirl, i bought a Brower TopHatch Autoturn Incubator from Double R Pet Supply on ebay.

6. SusanJoM

Quote:You are more than welcome. The eggs that I put directly into the incubator are starting to pip this morning. I am sooooooo excited. These eggs were not shipped (came from a neighbor) and are a mixed batch. At the moment a cuckoo marans, a black cochin, and a b/b (???) are all starting to pip.

Hurrah

Susan

7. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    ONE DOZEN OF MY EGGS ARE ON THE WAY!! I just got my confirmation number that my 12+ blue/splash silkie eggs are on their way!! [​IMG]

now i'm on my way to tsc to get a bator!!! [​IMG]

8. SusanJoM

Hmmmm....you probably outbid me on those eggs....maybe I shouldn't be being so nice to you....[​IMG]:lau [​IMG] [​IMG]

Susan

9. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    haha, that would be funny if it was me!!

10. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Where did you get your silkie eggs from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by