1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got a milk goat today!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Livinzoo, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    One of my coworkers told me he had a goat for me. He said it was a saanen. I dropped her off today. She has horns and is about a year old. She has never been bred. I decided to call her Latte.

Last week I got a 75% Kiko 25% boer buckling. He is 2 months old. He is a little cutie. He was given the name Thor by family.

These two are in a temp pen. They will eventually join my other two girls. A 50/50 boer/kiko and a 50/50 spanish/kiko. They are both probably bred to a 7/8 kiko buck. The spanish/kiko is starting to develop an udder.

When I get some time I will have to get some pics of all of them. I do have a question. At what point will my buckling start breeding? I know they can breed at 2 months, but at what point do they start hitting maturity?

2. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    From what I have read they will be going strong a 5-6 months old. Our boer buckling was getting the job done @ 3 months. His first babies are due February 24th! We have 3 bucklings that will be show wethers in about 6 weeks, they are 2 months old and are trying to mount everything. Of course, the older does are not impressed but this does not discourage the little fellows![​IMG]

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Congratulations on your new goat. Can't wait to see pics.

My pygmy fainting was just bred to a pygmy who is about 5 months old. It looked like he had no trouble at all getting the job done. Guess we'll know this Summer!

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    The youngest my Juniors have sucessfully covered a doe is 5 months.

Congrats on your new goats! Pics?

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Conjrats. We would love to see the pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by