I got a new book!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by WriterofWords, Sep 7, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We have this outfit that sells books and other items at schools every couple of months, they are called Books Are Fun. This time they had the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving 400 delicious and creative recipes for today. It was $10 for this big beautiful 448 page book, so I got one,, now I'm just dying to can something!!!!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Ooooh, that's a deal! Once that canning fever hits it's hard to stop.

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    great deal! I love canning. I love eating my garden stuff in the middle of winter more. [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I see lot's more canning coming up than I did last year! The worst part is I have to buy the stuff since I didn't do a garden!!!!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    just tell people you are happy to take their excess, I did that and have been canning pickles for a week . . . and didn't grow a single cucumber!

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

Nice thing abour the book is that you don't have to can what you make. You can make enough for a meal...the recipes are great!

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Good idea!! I'm also going to pick up some extra copies next time they come for some Christmas presents. I don't think I'll find a better deal than $10 for a big hardback book like that for my gardening buddies. Of course,, that is if they don't raise the prices,,,,,

8. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:This book taught me everything I needed to know about canning. Great deal and I too would pick up more copies for friends and family. There is a very long post here call "What are you canning now?" If you have looked at it before take a peek - lots of good ideas and inspiration.

Sandee

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thanks and I've been following that thread too! I've always done simple stuff like pickles and jam, but boy am I getting ambitious now!

10. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    I have the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today

I wonder if it is the same book?

If it is, the fresh vegetable salsa on page 203 is very good and the strawberry lemonade concentrate on page 192 is killer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by