i got a new drake 2 days ago and i havent seen him eat enything yet :(

Daniel_2kaii9

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
South Wales
hey, i got a new drake 2 days ago and i havent seen him eat enything
sad.png

could some1 maybe tell me why he havent eat enything ?

thanks

~Daniel

hmmmm, Daniel, have you tried putting a camara there just incase he is eating when you turn your back? if he is still not eating he might just be getting used to his new surroundings.
p.s i got my drake from whales!
smile.png

~alanna

i close the door to the coop and clean it out then put food and fresh water in the coop and then open the door for them to go in and eat and when thay go in i watch him to see if he eats but he dont
hmm.png
hopefully he'll start eating soon
fl.gif

what drake have you got ?
smile.png

~Daniel

How is he interacting with the other ducks in the flock? Is he the only drake, or is there already a dominant drake or hen in the flock?

If he is interacting with the other ducks and mixing with them well (if everybody is getting along and seem happy- no picking , chasing or bopping each other), I would try letting the established flock set the example.

Feed your gang peas, or whatever their favorite treat is, mixed with a few pellets in each handful while they are out playing. Just sit down on the grass or a bucket and call out "Treats! Treats!" and gently toss a few peas and pellets in their general direction. Like you would if they were wild ducks at the local pond.

Your new drake will see the others snarfing up the peas and pellets, and he should start gobbling them up, too. He may be very hesitant because everything is new, You seem scary to him, or because the dominant drake/hen is/has put him in his "place".

If that doesn't work, put him into a separate area of the pen where they can see and talk to each other, but he has his own feed and water. Measure how much feed you put in with him at meal time, and then measure how much is left the next time you go out to the pen. Some ducks seem to only eat when you're not looking.

You may find that he is actually eating quite well.

If he really is not eating, you may need to consult a vet.

Edited to add: I feed my ducks pelleted feed. You can use whatever it is your ducks usually eat when you offer the treats. Just try to get him used to you and see if he will follow the leader with the other ducks.

I like the camera idea, but separating him overnight or when you feed them will let you know if he is eating anything, no matter how little.
I hope he is just a stealth snacker.

Last edited:
hes doing okay with my little flock (little because i've only got 2 hens and that drake) he seems to be stressed when hes not with the 2 hen ducks i tryed putting him in the coop on his own but he still didnt eat and he was calling the hens
hmm.png

every morning i give them bread sometimes peas and sometimes lettuce just know he was by the pool and i threw bread by him and he eat about 3 peices and he eat a little lettuce
smile.png

in the run & coop i got 7 chickens and the 3 ducks (where i got him from he was with hen ducks and loads of chickens so he is use to chickens)

i just hope he starts eating soon
fl.gif

& thanks for the info
smile.png

~Daniel

OK, a good small flock and friendly to each other is good.
smile.png
Well, if he's eating snacks, then he's probably eating his dinner when you're not looking.

Can the chickens eat the ducks' dinner? If they are all fed at the same time & place, maybe the chooks are eating the food before he can get to the feed pan for his meals? Maybe feed them separately?

You probably want to give them something more nutritious for their snacks than bread - especially if it white bread. It has little to no nutritional value. My family calls it fake food.
sickbyc.gif
I guess whole grain bread might be a little better, but I still wouldn't give them a lot of it. Have you tried mealworms? They are easy to raise, and lots of birds like them. (The darkling beetles they grow up to be are a favorite with 2 of my ducks.) Or maybe rolled oats or whole oats?

I hope everything goes well for you and your chooks.

when i feed them i watch them to see if he eats but he aint eat eny food yet

and i feed them chicken corn and laying pellets mixed in 2 dishes

noo i havent tryed meal worms

~Daniel

Last edited:
He really could be eating when you aren't around. A good drake will let his hens eat first. My Mr Drake always stood back while his girls ate. Then he would eat.

Have you checked with where you got him from. What where they feeding him? Could be the food is very different from what he is used to. If so get some and mix it in with the food you feed them. or put out a separate dish of it with a little of your food in it.

I'll bet he is a proper Drake and is eating after his ladies.

today i put another dish in the coop so 3 dishes of food and i seen him eat!!
big_smile.png

thats all i needed to do was put another dish in there with food lol glad hes started eating
smile.png

could someone tell me how long it takes for a drake to settle in and tred/mate with the hen ducks ?

thanks

~Daniel

Back
Top Bottom