I got a new duck!

Oct 14, 2021
Western Washington
I get a new duck today! Her name is Bunny she is one of the sweetest ducks I've ever met! So we put her out with my flock of ducks and then an hour later we went to check on her again and she was missing. Nowhere t to be seen. We checked out hole yard and couldn't find her so we checked the beach. We found Bunny! She was just standing there so we caught her and instead of putting her back with my flock I put her in the garage. I couldn't risk losing Bunny again!

here is a picture of Bunny in her crate.
she won't get out of it.
16441964555801692055991.jpg

I get a new duck today! Her name is Bunny she is one of the sweetest ducks I've ever met! So we put her out with my flock of ducks and then an hour later we went to check on her again and she was missing. Nowhere t to be seen. We checked out hole yard and couldn't find her so we checked the beach. We found Bunny! She was just standing there so we caught her and instead of putting her back with my flock I put her in the garage. I couldn't risk losing Bunny again!

she won't get out of it.View attachment 2985799
Aww, she looks like a sweetheart.

she won't get out of it.View attachment 2985799
Sooo cute!!!! Congratulations!!

I think you need to keep her penned up for awhile so that she gets used to home and the flock. I use a small dog pen within the run area so that there is a look don't touch barrier, but they can all see one another. You could then bring her into a safe area to sleep until she gets used to her new flock. It's too bad that you didn't get two so that she'd have a friend with her.
I lost a runner duck letting it out too soon to free range. 🙁 I knew better, but I didn't think they would wander too far as they had been at our place for a week - we had 2. However, they got into the corn field. Only one of the new ducks came back. I had to get the one runner duck 2 new friends (its always easier to introduce 2). My other ducks are muscovy, so she was really scared as there wasn't a bond and muscovy and other ducks have different voices and behaviors.
Now that they've been here since early summer and have been penned, they stay near their home when I let them out to free range.
She is cute though. 😍

I think you need to keep her penned up for awhile so that she gets used to home and the flock. I use a small dog pen within the run area so that there is a look don't touch barrier, but they can all see one another. You could then bring her into a safe area to sleep until she gets used to her new flock. It's too bad that you didn't get two so that she'd have a friend with her.
I lost a runner duck letting it out too soon to free range. 🙁 I knew better, but I didn't think they would wander too far as they had been at our place for a week - we had 2. However, they got into the corn field. Only one of the new ducks came back. I had to get the one runner duck 2 new friends (its always easier to introduce 2). My other ducks are muscovy, so she was really scared as there wasn't a bond and muscovy and other ducks have different voices and behaviors.
Now that they've been here since early summer and have been penned, they stay near their home when I let them out to free range.
She is cute though. 😍
I will keep her penned up! I would have got two ducks but all her other ones got eaten by a raccoon so she just gave me one!

I will keep her penned up! I would have got two ducks but all her other ones got eaten by a raccoon so she just gave me one!
Oh that's sad.
Will you be able to keep your other ducks penned as well? At least maybe a sweet one that might bond with her, but of course you never know how it will all work out. You would still want to set up a look no touch area at least for a day or so. When you let her in with them, just keep an eye on the whole flock and her. In my experience ducks are much easier to integrate than chickens. 😁

Back
Top Bottom