I got a new parakeet! Happy day!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Sunny Side Up, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    My favorite color parakeet (budgerigar) has an aqua-green body and a yellow face. It may be a fairly common color type, but I don't often see it when pausing to admire cage-fulls of parakeets in pet shops. I did have one like this once, named Steve, but sadly, he flew out of his cage one day last year and was never seen again. [​IMG]

Ever since, I haven't had the heart -- or the money to spare -- for another parakeet.

Until today! I was at the local feed store where I always must walk through the small animal room to admire the baby chicks, the bunnies & guinea pigs, the finches, cockatiels, and parakeets. And the most gorgeous parakeet caught my eye, the most lovely shade of aqua-green contrasting so nicely with a sunny yellow face. Furthermore, I just happened to have some $$$ my MIL sent me for my birthday. I usually end up spending my birthday $$$ to renew my auto tag, or for groceries, or for the kids' Christmas gifts.

But this time I decided to get something -- someONE -- special instead!

This lil' bird doesn't yet have a name, we don't yet know the sex, its cere is mauve. Until then, my boys are calling it a he and we're just calling him Birdy and an assortment of other endearments. He has been installed in Steve's old cage where he's getting adjusted to his new surroundings. He's very docile and doesn't bite at all, and will sit on everyone's finger in turn. I will post photos when I can.
    [​IMG] I'm so happy with my new dear little pet! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on your new friend! [​IMG]

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    We named ours "The Dude"...She's now "Dudette"! Congrats on the new family member!

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Cere Being Mauve , indicates a female.....if I remember correctly.

Congratulations on your new Family addition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by