I got a new puppy!!!!!!! Yay!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LittleLady98, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I got a new puppy Thursday...her name is Dara, (DAR-ah). She was said to be 4 weeks old... Solid black except for between her toes, there is white between her toes on all four paws! She is absolutely adorable!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Congrats [​IMG]

3. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

You must post pics, please. Btw, how come you got her so young?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

5. Quote:The folks I got her from were trying to get homes for the puppies before full on winter came.

6. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The folks I got her from were trying to get homes for the puppies before full on winter came.

Oh, gotcha. The only reason I ask is because they are still learning behaviors from mama at that age. However, I got one of my dogs at 4 weeks old, and she turned out good. She is pretty leary with strangers, but I think that is due more to the fact that we live in the country, and I don't get to socialize her much.
    I'm very excited for you. I love puppies. Not the house breaking though. I always seemed to get my dogs as pups in the winter. Nothing like standing outside in the freezing, cold Oregon rain trying to get a puppy to go potty. [​IMG]

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    she's going to have a tiny tiny bladder at that age, so don't expect much in the way of housebreaking for a couple weeks. You're also going to have to provide extra warmth for her as well as milk replacer as she has another week or so before she should be weaned.

Do you have older dogs? She's not going to have the chance to learn bite inhibition, so you're going to have some work cut out for you. What breed is she?

I sent you a PM

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Almost forgot!

At only 4 weeks, sh e isn't going to have accurate control of her body temperature. You'll need to make a nest with a heat source and plenty of space to move away if she gets too warm

9. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  10. Quote:The first night I had her I only got about 4 hours of sleep, (thank you Dara, the puppy)... I have 1 older female Pom-Pom named Chloe, she loves to take care of any baby animal. She tried to adopt my kittens one time!! And the puppy is a Black Lab/Border Collie mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by