1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got A NORDIC TRACK BOX to use for a brooder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IdealisticRoo, Jan 3, 2011.

1. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    [​IMG]

I saw a HUGE Nordic track box propped against a trash can on my way to the office this morning! I slowed down, went a bit, slowed again, and then turned around and went back and got it!

This thing is HUGE! 8' long, 3' deep and about 1' tall! Both the top and bottom are this size, with the bottom being smaller!

I am dreaming up designs now, ANY ADVICE would be greatly appreciated! I have been using a kiddie pool, but the dust problem is getting worse! So my plan is to line the bottom piece with plastic sheeting, use 2 large pieces of plexiglass for the front and back, put a furnace filter at each end and bang, NO MORE DUST!

I will post pictures as I go along, but please add any details that you think would help.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    So where's the pics? I like pics. Plllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

3. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    I am at work right now. I had to put the box on my roof, b/c it would not fit in my car. Since I was on my way to work and only a block from home, I took it back home and put it in garage and then left to work AGAIN!

I will take some as soon as get home.

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks your the best. Well after Speckledhen and Kathinmo.

5. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Here is the picture, this thing is GINORMOUS!

I need to get moving on it, some of my chicks hatched last night and I have 25 pullet chicks coming Friday!

[​IMG]

6. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    That's an awesome find!

I just got a 45-gallon plastic tote (it's red, christmas clearance, lol) that has a "locking" lid, it has snaps on the handles that keep the lid on, and has wheels! No pics of mine just yet...but there sure will be once I assemble all the pieces I need to make my brooder! I'm hoping, since I only plan on getting 3 chicks (hopefully hens, since roos are a no-no), that it will be large enough for them to stay in until they can go out to the coop (which is still a shed until I can get a few things fixed, found a leak a month ago, & things like a pop door installed).

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Moley Hokes could I use that [​IMG] Great find, not to fill it with chicks.. [​IMG]

8. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:I have done nothing on it yet, I have been so busy with a mis-hatched chick, that I haven't got a chance yet. My shipment of chicks may arrive tomorrow, but they will spend the first week in a storage tote with paper towels.

The goal of this is to have LESS DUST, I am going to blow warm air in one end with a heater and the other end will have a furnace filter to trap all the dust, I hope!

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Using furnace filters on your brooder is pure GENIUS!

I'm going to incorporate that idea on my next brooder!

10. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:Thank you! I got a 4-pack of 20 x 25 filters tonight for only $2.49 at home depot, that's only sixty-some cents each!

I have had it with dust coating everything in the garage!

I get the chicks tomorrow, they will spend the first week in a storage tote on paper towel, by then I better have this done! I forgot painter's plastic to line the bottom of the box with!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by