I got a pink egg from a cochin!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by georgialee, Sep 12, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    One of my bantam cochins is laying a very softly tinted pink egg. She just started laying so I hadn't hard boiled any of hers and I got a surprise when I did:

[​IMG]

It's REALLY pink! I think once the bloom came off you can see the true color of the egg. My other bantam cochins are also laying tinted eggs but they're more of a tan color. Oh, and this picture doesn't really do justice to how pink it really was.. don't know why it's so hard to capture with a camera. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

3. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks!

I swear I'm my own thread killer sometimes [​IMG] I thought cochins layed brown eggs... I thought it was cool that I got a pink one [​IMG]

4. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Guess I really did kill it this time [​IMG]

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I just collected my eggs from
    my Bantam cochins and
    I have one thats an extra Large and
    I do mean extra large, whats up with these
    birds. I have to take a pic. and its not the usual brown its a lot lighter in color.hummmm food for thought LoL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Well, considering most all brown eggs have a warm undertone (pink/red) pink really isn't all that far from a usual light brown egg on the color scale. She may just genetically not produce much pigment so it comes out looking pinkish. Or because she's first laying her body hasn't quite figured out it's supposed to color those eggs yet. Either way, it's a pretty little egg for sure. [​IMG]

7. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I get what I call a "pink" egg from one of my Cochins too..but it could just be very light brown and look pink to me.

[​IMG]

8. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    those look pink to me! I always thought that only ee's could lay pink. It was such a nice surprise to find an unexpected egg!

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I get pinkish eggs from a couple of my Standard Cochins. 1 of them lays a pink egg with purplish spots on every egg (need to get a good pic of one). The rest of them lay a light tan egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by