1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got a Rooster in my coop, apparently!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kitkatinacoop, Jun 8, 2017.

1. kitkatinacoop

kitkatinacoop Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Imperial, CA
    When I first got my chicks, I wanted only girls. However it turns out that one of the pullets that I got was a boy! He has crowed for a bit, however I was not fully aware that he was a boy as my husband has a game that the save noise is a rooster crowing, and then we have neighbors with them as well!

Fluffers, who is SUPER adorable and a scaredy cat. But I was wondering if him being in there will effect my eggs??? I know that he can fertilize them and stuff, however I was wondering how fast do I need to grab the eggs before they are fully fertilized? Or how that all works. I know that I can put them into the fridge and they will be okay? I think? I just need some help.

fluffers.PNG

2. kitkatinacoop

Mar 31, 2017
    Imperial, CA
    I am really attached to him, and I have no idea how to deal with a male bird. He is a super scardrycat and I would be upset to get rid of him. So I will not be getting rid of him, he is actually my favorite. I am just concerned about the eggs that I originally got the birds for!

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    Your eggs will be fine just gather at least every other day so nobody tries to go broody or gets tempted to eat eggs. Stick them in the fridge and enjoy.

B Redhawk and Wickedchicken6 like this.
  4. kitkatinacoop

Mar 31, 2017
    Imperial, CA
    THANK YOU! I think I read that somewhere but I needed to be sure. Thank you so much!

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Hey, if you do not know----Just ask. The rooster will breed with the hen, even if you took him away her eggs can remain fertile for 2 or 3 weeks. Keeping them on the table will not cause a problem as long as they do not stay there for weeks and rot. It takes Incubation to get the fertile eggs starting a embryo that would hatch into a chick. So do not worry. As long as you collect eggs fresh every day---you will not get any surprises. Now if I find a egg---in the bush, or some where that I have No Idea how old it it----I just toss it to the hogs, in the woods(away from the chickens), etc. I am not going to keep a egg unless I know it is fresh layed.

6. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by