1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got a very strange egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by animallover505, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Today, I got a tiny egg, and the shell was crumbly, looed cracked, and would fall off at touch, kinda like a thick layer of sand on a wet balloon. It was kinda bouncy, and would not crack. I washed the egg shell off of it, and got down to the membrane, which I punctured with a knife, and squeezed out the contents. There was a tiny yolk, about the size of a pea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    my hens have constant access to oyster shell, and I often give them egg shell, too. They are 1-2 years old. I had one hen that was sick, so it could be her first egg in a while, but I don't know. Help!

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    that's garlic next to it and an inches ruler above it for size comparison.

3. the egg white was probably the firmest I've seen, but the egg was about the size of a golf ball

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    That is strange. I feel like sometimes eggs are just weird, but watch out for anything like this that keeps happening...the soft shells I mean. It can cause issues after awhile. It looks like your egg was just pushed out a little early, or something like that...it wasn't fully formed.

5. it is the first "weird" egg I've ever had

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by