I got a whole litter and mama! *Graphic Pics*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenlover54, Jul 7, 2011.

1. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Today I went into our corn crib and heard a huge racket in the bins up top(3 storys high). I ran in and loaded my gun, climbed up the ladder(the almost not there ladder, the steps are like 3 feet apart and I had to bring my gun with me so I did this 1 handed). I got up there and saw a litter of 3 babies and a mama hiding in a dark corner. The moms body was never found, I shot her once and she leaped out the 3 story high window, suicide I suppose. It was actually kind of amusing, she flung her body like 4 feet out and she parachuted down, she wasn't down there when I went to check but she couldn't have made it that far. Its never easy taking any life but in 2 months these kinda cute things would be monsters. These will make 12 raccoons in total that I have ever killed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Hey, it's better them than your girls! Plus you took out the next generation of chicken killers. Good on ya. I agree, it is never pleasant taking a life but sometimes it is necessary.

[​IMG]

3. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Let's hope the mother didn't suffer.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Home wrecker!!! [​IMG]

5. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] is all i'm going to say.

and i'll say this, I'm not big on killing ANYTHING I love my ducks as much as anyone loves anything, but I've seen a fox walking across my field with a duck of mine in it's jaws before and cursed the duck for having not been smarter,and wished the fox a good meal, it's NATURE. I don't want a fox to come raid my duck shed, certainly not. but when YOU come into THIER home, and offer of free, easy, DUMB (not referring to chickens mind you, iut's just and domestic poultry have NO predater smaerts) prey, then what right have we to kill them?

and a momma and babies, come on! do you not realize how SCARED she probly was for her young?, if she's lived by some miricle, do you realize WHAT she'll be thinking about above all else?

I realize you gotta do what you gotta do, but there are over options than killing,

It was actually kind of amusing, she flung her body like 4 feet out and she parachuted down

and i suppose if someone where to kill your dog for simply being on their property, it'd be amusing too?, trust me, been there, done that with one of our dogs, no it's not.

again, I do not want anyone taking this the wrong way, or thinking I'm PETA advocate, because PETA get on my nerves, and scare me a little bit...[​IMG]

but this is one of the meanest things I've read...

ETA: that is doesn't help that I have charokee american in my blood. [​IMG] so it's sorta my thing​

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:and i suppose if someone where to kill your dog for simply being on their property, it'd be amusing too?, trust me, been there, done that with one of our dogs, no it's not.

again, I do not want anyone taking this the wrong way, or thinking I'm PETA advocate, because PETA get on my nerves, and scare me a little bit...[​IMG]

but this is one of the meanest things I've read...

ETA: that is doesn't help that I have charokee american in my blood. [​IMG] so it's sorta my thing

Okay..you need to read the sticky for this section. If you cannot deal with.predators being killed do not open the threads but your posted comments to the op were uncalled for. If you want to sing campfire songs with the fox carrying off your duck ... go for it but do not attack others for not doing the same.

And what is "charokee american"? If you are attempting to claim lineage to my people please learn to spell it correctly...it is Cherokee, as a Cherokee I am offended by the ignorance.

OP. Well done. Shoot those ruthless murderers...vicious critters.

7. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Cherokee American= Cherokee "indian", I do not believe in calling them "indians"

and with cherokee blood, cetawin, perhaps you should have a bit more respect for the creatures our ancestors shared the land with, they are not ruthless, they are not murderers, they are PREDATORS doing wht PREDATORS do, but I will say no more on this subject.

ETA: that I was not "attacking" the OP as you say, if I wanted to "attack" him I'd say something along the lines of "you stupid so and so, what the heckers did ya do that fer? you dumb ba***rd", but i did not, for I have no use for that kind of language, I simply stated that to myself, and most likely several others killing both the MOTHER and her young, instead of letting them go on their way, and catching htme up later, even if you didn't get ALL of them, seems a bit cruel

the irony is, that if you live on "their" land, you will ALWAYS have predators, offer them, as i said easy, dumb prey with no insticts to run or fight, they will come back no matter how many you kill, another or two will replace it within weeks, you will never escape them, your only chance if you wish to keep your birds safe is to give them body armor, OR make their living quarters as safe as possible.

ETA also:if you wish to cheer about killing an animal doing what an animal does by nature, then so be it, you'll not see me on this post again.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ok, then the moderator will come in and say what a member was trying to get across. This is Predators & Pests and there are specific rules for this section. Please re-read them:

Quote:

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    chickenlover54 wrote:
    The moms body was never found, I shot her once and she leaped out the 3 story high window, suicide I suppose. It was actually kind of amusing,

I think you did the right thing by killing the coons------after all we all have the responsibility of proteceting our livestock------but this statement kind of bothered me. These are living creatures and deserve a little dignity too-----even if they are considered vermin by many.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some bleeding-heart animal rights group supporter, but I love all living things and have even raised and re-located a few litters of raccoons. I do alos protect my flock--------I've probably killed way too many rats too count just this summer alone-----some using poison, and even did away with a littler by tossing them in a bucket of water----------but I didn't find it one bit amusing, and even said, "I'm sorry, but I can't have you eating my chicken feed." as I did it.

I'm sure you didn't mean to come off the way it seemed, and like I said, I think you did what had to be done.​

10. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Ever since we lost one set of girls to a fox, I never look at them and say "Oh, how pretty!" I say..."shoot 'em! They'll get my chickens!"
    Only problem is, we cant shoot...we are still in the city...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by