I got a Wonderful surprise when I came home this evening!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fried green eggs, Apr 8, 2012.

1. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I have new chicks hatching [​IMG]They are eggs purchase off eBay and I drove 3 hours to them pick up. The morning I put 11 out of the 14 into lock down, my 3 yr old grand-daughter played with the thermostat dial on my home made bator. I had to re-stabilize the temp with eggs in [​IMG] . It took me almost 12 hours and the temps fluxed between 95 - 102 deg. I thought none of the eggs would hatch. I had 3 chicks when I got home at 8 pm tonight and now have 6 with 3 more pips on others [​IMG]Now I don't want to go to bed.

2. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    congrats I hope you have a wonderful healthy hatch!!!

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Looks like you are having a great hatch! What kind of chicks are they?

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Yay![​IMG]

5. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    awesome! [​IMG]

6. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I now have 9 strong chicks and 1 I'm not sure will make it. First 7 hatched with no problems and doing Great! 11th was questionable and was a dud. These are Blue & Bk Orps. I had to help the last 3 get out of their shells. One had zipped 90% and then quit, after 8 hours I assisted and it was kind of shrink wrapped and stuck so, I misted it w/very warm water and got it unstuck and out. Last 2 had pipped and only one had made any progress at all so, I took it very easy and misted and helped it out. The last one pipped and quit trying. No movement since last night. When I chipped off a bit of it's egg - it was apparent it was stuck to shell. I did little bit by little and misted and got it out.
    I had humidity reading 74% so, I don't know why first ones to hatch did great and no problems and why last 3 were stuck?
    My last chick is still stuggling because one leg doesn't move as well. It's laying on it's back and kicking some but more with one leg and can't seem to right itself to get up.

I don't know if I did the right thing by helping this last chick hatch. I seems like it's fighting to get up. I'm pretty sure it would have died in the shell but, not sure it's going to make it. [​IMG] Should I do something more???? Did I do too much already???

7. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Update: All 10 new hatched chicks are doing Great! [​IMG] I have a couple Lavenders, a few Blues and a couple Black Orps [​IMG]The little one that was having problems getting up & turning over or walking is now doing well and it's starting to be very hard to pick out which one it even was. LOL
    Heres a pic of the new babies: [​IMG]

8. TheLoveShack

TheLoveShack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Wilmington, NC
    Yay!! Congratulations! They are so cute

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Congratulations!!! What gorgeous little fuzzballs :)

10. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Yay!! I so never get tired of looking at chicks. So happy for you that your hatch went well!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by