I got accepted to College, advice needed!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Elite Silkies, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Some of you already know that I had applied to the LPN school, but only got elected as an Alternate. Which really upset me........... [​IMG] But, life went on, lol.

I decided to apply at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. I done all of my testing today and have been accepted. [​IMG] I am going to get my Bachelor's in Science and my RN Degree.

So, I am praying and keeping my fingers crossed that I can swing the cost, etc. I did get a Pell grant this year for $5550 and hoping that I can get Federal Loans as well.

I go back today at 3 pm to talk to my Advisor and Financial Aid Department.

Soooooooooooooooo, my Dilema. I am debating on selling a bunch of my birds. I hate to, but I will need to watch what I spend etc.

So, I am thinking about selling my Lav/Aussie project flock and probably several silkie babies and a few Adult Silkies.

I'll keep most of my Lavender Silkies, except maybe a couple of Roo's. I'll probably sell my 2 splash hens, but they went through a heavy moult and are not back to normal yet. They will not stop going broody long enough to feather back in right. I have tons of babies that I'll sell.

I'll keep my Coronation Split pair, so I can process the roos.

So, that would leave me with 7 Silkies and the Coronation Pair. I'll have to also keep Goldie, she's my daughter's Buff Orpington and she loves her! Plus one Silkie that is just a pet.

I will have tons of birds and chicks to get rid of!! I hate to let them go, but I see myself in books for the next 4 years.

So, tell me I'm doing the right thing if I sell most of my birds [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yay!

Advice: Lay off the booze and loose frat boys. Focus on studying!

ETA: You are doing the right thing. You can always re-stock the birdies when you have the time, the money, and the health to go hog-wild, again. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yes.

I gave up chickens for ten years to move away from home and focus on my education. It was worth it.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yay!!!! Congrats!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know it may be hard to sell them.. but school is more important.
    Once you get settled into a routine..you can get them again.

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] I don't drink, so I will not have to worry about the Booze, and ummmmmmmm after being at the College today. Well, I think I'm the oldest one there, so no worry on the Frat boys. HAHA

6. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:That's what I'm thinking. It's only 4 years and then I can get more birds if I want them. If I have time, I am going to let my Husband retire after I go to work. He is older than I am, and his body needs a break.

7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Okay, so I need to get a count of what I have and what breeds, and I need you guys to help me price them. If you don't mind [​IMG]

8. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Larissa, I will have your eggs collected before I sell them [​IMG] They are starting to pick back up again. I am hoping to get them in the Mail Monday or Tuesday.

Here's a few birds that I am going to sell. See if ya'll can help me price them.

1 Lavender Orpington Rooster from hinks flock (9 months old)
    8 Black Australorp hens (1 yr and 3 months old)

(24) Split Lavender Aussie babies ranging from 5-8 weeks old.

Trio of Cuckoo Maran

1 Buff Orpington Pullet
    1 Speckled Sussex Pullet

Light and Dark Gray Partridge Silkies and Showgirls about 5 weeks old (could carry the Lav Gene)

2 Blue Silkies carrying one copy of the Lavender gene one is about 6 weeks old and the other is about 8 weeks old.

White Silkies about 8 weeks old. A few are carrying one copy of the Lavender gene.

1 Lavender SIlkie Rooster

1 Lavender Showgirl Rooster

I have several more but theres a few to start. I'll try to get pictures of all of them this weekend.

9. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by