I got an egg!!! Can I eat it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mulemom, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I got my first egg yesterday! But my chickens were sneezing the other day so I put terramycin in their water. I think I have to not eat the eggs for a while. Does anyone know?

It's a beatiful little tan egg!! I have no idea who laid it.:|

2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    no dont eat it. You have to wait 2 weeks after they are off the meds. Thats what someone told me

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, you CAN eat the egg. The coccidiostats in chick starter do not have any withdrawal times.

4. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I think you should bronze it. [​IMG]

5. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    Quote:She put terramycin in their water.I thought you cant eat the eggs till 2 weeks to be on the safe side?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I belive the withdrawl time for terramycin is 4 days. After that, you can eat the eggs. If it is a coccocidant like amprol, then there is no withdrawl time.

For future note. If they are just sneezing, and you don't know the cause, giving antibiotics (that only affect bacteria and do NOTHING for virusus or irritants of respiatory system) can give you and the world more problems in the future. If you know it is a bacteria causing the problem, do it, else, don't.

The over use and incomplete dosages of antibiotics is why there are so many resistant strains of bacteria we can't kill anymore. Antibiotics kill the weak bacteria and if a few strong ones live, can overpopulate and cause a stain that can't be battled. This resistance will lie in the transferable genes of the bacteria and it can trade it with prevously susceptable bacteria. So in effect, you can innocently breed hundreds of bacterium that you cant do anything about when they take over your immune system. On a large scale, something like 2/3 of hospital patients die of secondary infections due to resistant strains of bacteria.

7. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Yikes!

I dumped the water and gave them fresh stuff yesterday. I posted on emergencies, but didn't get a response fast enough so i went ahead and put it in the water. But then later that night somebody came back with the perfect explination as to why they may have been sneezing (dust from scuffel in the coop) and they have not been sneezing since. They only got a little bit of the antibotic water before I realized that I shouldn't have done it. Will they be ok? And I can wait 4 days and eat the eggs after that?

Ok 3peeps...I guess it bronzing for this one!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, wait the four days and now you are wiser. I doubt much harm was done ina day but as another note, if you do find out you have a bacterial infection, it is best to complete the recomended dosage times as stopping just before the end can lead to medium resistance bugs staying alive too. This is why doctors say that you MUST complete any course of antibiotics given, because if you stop as soon as you feel better, you can have a resurgance of the bacteria with a greater percentage of them being resistant to the drugs. No antibiotic kills all bacteria, they kill the weak ones so your body can focus on the hard to kill ones.

9. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    Blow out the egg and turn it into a xmas tree ornament. We blew out our first one (from last year) and it is sitting in a little hand woven nest (my friend made) on the ledge above our sink. I love looking at it every day.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oops, I didn't see where you had given them Terramycin. I'm so sorry! What is wrong with my eyes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by