1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I GOT AN EGG!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by skya328, Mar 27, 2009.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    One of my girls laid her first egg yesterday! I got home from work and I found it on the floor when I opened the door. I was SO EXCITED!!! [​IMG] The pointy end is cracked, but I don't care. I actually think the roo pecked at it. I guess I can't blame him. I can hardly wait to see what I find after work today!

Hopefully soon they will realize the nest boxes aren't just there to sleep in.... any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    wow! congrats! [​IMG] I hope you will have an egg there waiting for you to come get it lol =] its usually a normal egg my first egg was tiny tiny! [​IMG] it had no yolk it was just the white [​IMG] what's the breed from the hen who laid it?

3. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG], oh oh oh I love the first egg [​IMG] as for your sleeping problems are your roost up higher than your nest boxes.

4. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thats great although I have heard that you don't really want your girls sleeping in the nesting boxes

5. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Congratulations on your first egg! You can put fake eggs or golf balls in the nesting boxes. Chickens like to lay their eggs in safe places so if they see eggs they figure that must be a safe place and lay there. You will find if you have 6 nesting boxes on some days they will fight over one and lay all the eggs that day in that box and ignore the other 5.

6. skya328

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    You know, I told DH that it was a tiny egg... but I was happy anyway! She's an RIR. I just looked at the calendar and yesterday was her 5 month birthday! (hatched 10/26/08) What a fitting birthday gift for me from her!

DH is out of town til tonight so I saved it in the fridge so he can see it. Since it's cracked I won't eat it. I'll probably give it back to the girls. [​IMG]

7. skya328

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Quote:Actually, they are finally sleeping on the roosts. The last couple weeks they were sleeping in the nest boxes b/c we had to many roos that were picking on them. (2 girls and 3 boys.) We gave 2 roos to a fellow BYCer and the hens are much happier now. I'm hoping they stay that way. Happy hens lay more eggs right? LOL

8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by