I got babies yesterday!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sphillips, Mar 4, 2013.

1. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    I'm a newbie to this. Went to TSC yesterday to pick up a couple of smaller water containers, as my plans have changed for where I will keep my babies. I was going to have them in a large garden tub, but in condsideration of my bad back, my husband set up two smaller tubs to make it easier on me. I'm patiently (not so much) waiting on my order of chicks to come in, but my husband just couldn't resist, and we brought home 6 pullets, mystery breeds. They had some larger chicks that were already feathering out, but I wanted the small ones, so that when my new ones come, they will be closer in age, and hopefully less of a problem to introduce to eachother. I got them set up in the tub, they were very 'sleepy' at first, and weren't moving around much. I had dipped their beaks in water when I first put them in, but later again I did the same, and showed them their food. They all drank and ate, and I felt much better. I'm brooding them in their coop outside, and made several trips out there last night to make sure I had the temp right for them should it get very cold. They all made it through the night, weren't bunched up, and were quiet when I went out this morning, so I'm guessing they are comfortable. The temp under the light was about 85 this morning, and I noticed yesterday that these chicks are pretty comfortable at that temp. It was hotter last night in the brooder, but I was trying to plan for a drop in temp early this morning. I'm glad I decided to get a few babies early, as it will give me a chance to 'practice' before my 25 others come. A few questions: I did give them electrolytes and probiotics in one waterer, and plain water in the other. How long do I need to give them the electolytes? Also, I have medicated feed as well as non medicated (couldn't decide which to use). Can I mix those together when I feed them? I'm also assuming they should have feed at all times? Also, I have them on paper towels over their bedding. How long do I need to do this to make sure their legs are ok? One chick has 'runny' poo, what does this mean, what can I do for her, she seems fine otherwise, and after checking them this morning, it could already be resolving, but I'm not sure. I haven't been handling them much, and I'm guessing they are 2-3 days old? I forgot to ask yesterday when I got them. I'm a nervous momma, want them all to do well. Sorry so long, just lots of questions popping up, and I know this is the place for great answers! : )

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Are they going outside yet? Medicated feed is to limit the amount of cocci exposure and is most useful when they are getting some exposure (touching the soil). If the are in a sterile environment, I'd feed unmedicated until a few days before they go outdoors. If the are going out or you want to bring dirt to them to begin exposing them slowly, I'd use the medicated and switch to unmedicated once they've had a couple months of exposure or you've used up he sack (whichever comes later). I would not mix the two feeds. You'd be giving the medication at half strength which might build resistance rather than helping.

I haven't used water additives but I'd say it's fine to stop once they are all eating and drinking well. It's meant to help them recover from the stress of shipping/moving. The paper towels are to keep them from eating the bedding until they know what food is. If they're eating from a feeder, I'd skip the paper towels. Runny poo can be from many things. If the chick seems fine otherwise, I'd remove the water additives and see if it clears up.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. WildBilly

WildBilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    i don't think chicks need medicated water. I just kept is simple and creative and I am also knew to raising chickens. I was in the sam position you were 5 months ago. i researched everything and was always worried so i could provvide the best care for them. i think if you just feed the chicks water and the right food they should be fine if you monitor them closely. I now have my first chickens ever reaching 5 months old almost and they have laid eggs already. The easter egger lays green shell, the leghorn white lays white shelled eggs, the barred rock lays brown as well as the rhode island red, the buff orpington lays smaller tan eggs. My rooster a Jersey Giant named Wild Billy doesn't lay. He's a rooster. ha ha [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sphillips

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    The chicks aren't going outside yet, as they are just brand new. I thought about waiting on the medicated feed until a few days before they went out. How old should they be before I put them out? It's still chilly here, and the wind has been horrible! I will wait on the medicated feed, and just give them plain water. With chickens, maybe sometimes, less is more??

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If the weather is cold/windy I wouldn't take them out until they are fully feathered, or close to it. They get chilled easily.

Electrolytes, like Save-A-Chick, in the water are fine. I use them for the first couple of days after new chicks come home and then switch to plain water. If I start seeing any pasty butt I put a teaspoon of ACV in their quart waterer each day until it clears up. Works like a charm.

As far as medicated feed...there is debate about just how effective/useful it actually is. Many people, myself included, have had chicks come down with coccidiosis while on medicated feed. The level of Amprolium it contains is a very low dose, meant for long term use. It does help but it's no guaranty of prevention. I think it's fine to use it, I still do, but with the knowledge that you still need to be on the lookout for signs of coccidiosis.

Something to consider is that you are going to be bringing in new chicks when your other 25 arrive. That is also a time to watch for coccidiosis. Chicks naturally have a few cocci in their gut and if these new ones bring along a strain that is different or new you could potentially have an outbreak. Good idea to keep Corid on hand so you can treat right away if you start seeing symptoms. So many times it seems to pop up when stores are closed and with coccidiosis fast treatment is imperative.

6. sphillips

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    What is Corid, where can I get it, and how do I give it to the chicks? I am worried about coccidiosis, but so far my chicks seem to be okay. From what I've read, it's usually around 10 days that it can show up. I got my email from the hatchery yesterday, my new chicks won't ship until April 17th, so I guess my idea of getting younger chicks to keep ages closer between the new and and ones I already have was a lost cause. Will be asking questions about how to introduce my chicks I'm sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by