I got chicks from Hoover’s hatchery...

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Loving life 💜
May 3, 2019
Florida
So, I ordered 15 chicks from Hoover’s hatchery and just got them home. The polish died on the way and the rest are fine. They sent me an extra one luckily but I’m still not sure about which breed is which.
I GOT:
1 BUFF ORPINGTON Female
1 BROWN LEGHORN Female
1 CC BROILER Female
1 CUCKOO MARANS Female
1 DELAWARE Female
1 FRENCH WHEATEN MARANS Unsexed
1 GOLDEN LACED WYANDOTTE Female
1 BLACK JERSEY GIANT Female
1 LAVENDER ORPINGTON Unsexed
1 OLIVE EGGER Female
1 SILVER LACED WYANDOTTE Female
1 SAPPHIRE GEM Female
1 SPECKLED SUSSEX Female
1 WELSUMMER Female
Plus the polish that didn’t make it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are my guesses:

Edit: drat, the photos didn't show up right.
I've done them in order.

View attachment 2009940
3 Gray/blue chicks:
Left chick I think is your mystery chick, but might be the olive egger.
If it grows up to have beard/muffs, it's the olive egger for sure. If it's the extra, it's either the same breed as one of the other two in this picture, or is an extra olive egger.
Middle chick is the Sapphire Gem (darker chick, lighter feet).
Right chick is the Lavender Orpington.

View attachment 2009944
2 chicks with dark heads, light markings on head, light bellies:
Both Wyandottes. I think gold is on the left, silver on the right. You'll know soon, as they get feathers with either silver or gold in them!

View attachment 2009943
4 chicks striped in shades of brown:
(I don't know which chick is which in this photo)
Brown Leghorn
Speckled Sussex--supposed to have white legs, while the others have yellow. I cannot see the legs on the one second-from-left, so that may be it, or it may have to grow older before anyone can tell.
Welsummer
Probably the Olive Egger, but possibly the extra chick (if it's the extra chick, then it'll be the same kind as one of the other three breeds here)

View attachment 2009951
4 Lightest chicks:
Buff Orpington on left (darker than the other three)
Cornish Cross second from left
French Wheaten Marans next (fuzzy feet)
Delaware on right (some dark feathers in wings)

View attachment 2009945
2 black chicks with light bellies:
Black Jersey Giant on the left
Cuckoo Marans on the right, with the yellow spot on her head

I think they may have sent you two olive eggers that don't look alike, but you'll know for sure when they start laying! (I read the hatchery description page, and they use several different crosses. One produces stripey chicks, the other produces black or blue chicks.)

Of course, I could be wrong on some of these, and someone else may be able to narrow down the ones I'm not sure of. I think the stripey ones will take a while to be able to tell apart, because they look somewhat similar even when mature. (Similar = mostly brown feathering, size neither bantam nor giant)

Here are my guesses:

Edit: drat, the photos didn't show up right.
I've done them in order.

View attachment 2009940
3 Gray/blue chicks:
Left chick I think is your mystery chick, but might be the olive egger.
If it grows up to have beard/muffs, it's the olive egger for sure. If it's the extra, it's either the same breed as one of the other two in this picture, or is an extra olive egger.
Middle chick is the Sapphire Gem (darker chick, lighter feet).
Right chick is the Lavender Orpington.

View attachment 2009944
2 chicks with dark heads, light markings on head, light bellies:
Both Wyandottes. I think gold is on the left, silver on the right. You'll know soon, as they get feathers with either silver or gold in them!

View attachment 2009943
4 chicks striped in shades of brown:
(I don't know which chick is which in this photo)
Brown Leghorn
Speckled Sussex--supposed to have white legs, while the others have yellow. I cannot see the legs on the one second-from-left, so that may be it, or it may have to grow older before anyone can tell.
Welsummer
Probably the Olive Egger, but possibly the extra chick (if it's the extra chick, then it'll be the same kind as one of the other three breeds here)

View attachment 2009951
4 Lightest chicks:
Buff Orpington on left (darker than the other three)
Cornish Cross second from left
French Wheaten Marans next (fuzzy feet)
Delaware on right (some dark feathers in wings)

View attachment 2009945
2 black chicks with light bellies:
Black Jersey Giant on the left
Cuckoo Marans on the right, with the yellow spot on her head

I think they may have sent you two olive eggers that don't look alike, but you'll know for sure when they start laying! (I read the hatchery description page, and they use several different crosses. One produces stripey chicks, the other produces black or blue chicks.)

Of course, I could be wrong on some of these, and someone else may be able to narrow down the ones I'm not sure of. I think the stripey ones will take a while to be able to tell apart, because they look somewhat similar even when mature. (Similar = mostly brown feathering, size neither bantam nor giant)
Thank you so much!!! That helped me a lot.

Back
Top Bottom