I got chicks, man! My 1st chickens ever and I'm a bundle of nerves!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Mar 28, 2009.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I've raised ducklings in the past so I thought I'd be 100% confident about these chicks, but now that they're here, I'm acting like a crazed mother hen already. I've read everything I can read in books and on this board, so hopefully I'll do enough right that the chicks thrive!!

I got (I hope) one Barred Rock, one Americauna and one Buff Orpington.

[​IMG]

I've read enough here to know that the Americauna is probably just an Easter Egger, but I'm happy if she is. I have read so many Americauna vs. EE threads and honestly I can't tell the difference between the chick pictures so I guess this little chipmunk is probably a generic EE.

I thought I'd be soooo cool, calm and collected when I finally got them, but I'm a bundle of nerves - I worry about them pecking each other and eating shavings and, and, and.... But I know I'll settle into a routine after a few days and that I'm just wound up because they're new. LOL

Thanks for looking at my little ones!!! Now to open up the chicken books again and start reading...again....

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh they are cute - congratulations! This is my first eyra odering chicks too - I only had ducks and geese last year, though I did hatch some that were eaten by a fox.

Anyway - you'll be fine, I'm sure you're doing everything right!

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Calm down and take a few breaths. You sound like you have prepared yourself with all the research you have done. If you do have a question you have come to the right place and hay if you did get a EE than that it cool too, colored eggs.

Better now, than go play with your new fuzzy butts and have some fun. lol

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    awww pretty babies!!! congrats

[​IMG]

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    you will love your breeds. My buffs are my favorite! My EE's are so sweet and my BR follow me like a dog! Have fun and relax...you will be a great mother hen! [​IMG]

6. greengardengirl

greengardengirl Out Of The Brooder

congrats! the fun begins!! [​IMG]

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

That's funny, I just got the exact same breeds you did! The chicks I just got are 4 EE's (I think they are all EE's unless you got yours from a breeder), 2 BR's, and one BO (for my grandson-I have 2 grown BO's already).

Since I already have the BO's, I can say that I am sure you will love them! I also have two EE's which are among my favorites. I had 4 BO's at one time (they were very old when I got them and have passed on since) but they were the sweetest birds, large and friendly.

So I think you will be pleased with all of your new chickies!

Congrats on the babies and good luck! I'm sure they will be fine! [​IMG] Genie

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! Beautiful babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Awesome.

You are gonna want more!![​IMG]

10. LauraM

LauraM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I felt just like you~ but I have relaxed a bit now! They are soo cute! Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by