1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got double the surprises today!!!!!!WHOO HOO!!!Advise please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickfillhay, Jun 13, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    As I mentioned in another post, My new basset hound Sally arrived today and she is wonderful!

You can imaging my great great pleasure when I went to check on my broody hens......THERE ARE 2 CHICKS UNDER THEM!!!!

Now question: Once the chicks hatch. Will the hens get up and leave? You see, there are 6 royal palm turkey eggs underneath them that are not due until the 26th. Will the hens stay on them until they hatch too? Or should I fire up my incubator just in case?

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    If you take the chicks away as they hatch the hens should stay on the nest. If you allow them to keep the chicks they will leave the nest in a couple days. Jenn

3. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    There are still a bunch more chicken eggs waiting to hatch..Will they at least wait for those?

4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    If you put food and water for the chicks, the hen should stay and hatch out the rest of the eggs. It depends on the hen. Or you can take the chicks from her, and she will hatch the rest out. It's what I normally do, but I know most people here like to leave the chicks with the mom so she can raise them. I just don't have room in the nesting boxes to put food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by