I Got 'em I Got 'em!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenChik, Jun 19, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Yay!! Hubby let me have my two Pekins!!! I will post pics when I. Gét them home!! Now what do I feed them?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    How old are they?
    Hurry and get photos!

I feed my ducks starter grain, non medicated and they are 3 and 4 months old. I plan to feed that until they are about 6 months old and then add a laying mash.

3. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    They are two days old!!! I have chick starer what can I mix with it?

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Make sure the chick starter is not medicated. You don't have to mix anything with it.

I can't get unmedicated chick starter. I use Chick grower food that is not medicated.

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    If your chick starter is medicated do NOT feed it to the ducklings it can kill them. I use game starter for my ducklings. Congrats on the ducklings and enjoy them. [​IMG]

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    chick4chicks is right. Iif you can get game starter in small bags for just 2 ducklings. Up until a month ago I couldn't get game starter even in the 50# bag. Now I can and will use it for the quail and ducklings when I have more. But my last ducklings were on chick grower and you'll be using that soon for your chicks anyway.

What ever you use, just make sure it's not medicated.

Start giving the ducklings, greens right away, chopped fine, or mashed peas, green beans. Provide grit free choise (sand or chick grit), once you decide to give them or your chicks treats. But with ducks, greens are necessary, not just a treat.

7. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Not all medicated chick starters are harmful to ducks. If you have the standard purina stuff you are probably fine. I don't have time to put up a list of okay meds in feed right now, but I can later. Amphorillium (Ack! I know I spelt that wrong) is supposed to be okay. If that is all you have they will be okay while you do a little reasearch and decide if you want to switch to a non-medicated feed. You do however need to make sure that they are getting extra Niacin. I add Brewer's yeast to my feed for that, other people use tablets disolved in water. Congratulations! I love my Pekins! Pick up a copy of Storey's Guide To Raising Ducks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yes, I had used the AMP in some medicated starter and it did not harm them but I wanted to be safe and switched when I had the chance. I have gamebird starter and it is 28% but I mix it with organic starter of 21%. The ducks grow fast enough with just 21%. I could not believe how quickly they grew from little fuzzies to mature birds in a matter of a few weeks!

9. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Where can I find brewers yeast?

10. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:In the vitamin section of any Wal-Mart. It comes in tablets that you can crush and sprinkle in the food or water. You could just go with Niacin tablets crushed over the food or water too, but I don't know what the correct dosage is off the top of my head.

Oh, and: [​IMG]

You'll love your Pekins - here's mine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by