I got fertilized eggs from my hen!!!!!!!!! I love my rooster!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jerseygirl1, Sep 18, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I cracked open four eggs this morning and they were all fertile!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY for Rags the Rooster!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more shipped eggs!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!
    I wonder how to tell if they are fertile without opening them..............anyone??

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The only other way to tell is to put them under a broody or in an incubator and set them for 21 days.

3. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    Thats dangerous though, now you have eggs you can set anytime lol. Thats why I dont have an incubator and only rely on broody hens! Otherwise i would be hatching all the time! [​IMG]

4. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    If Rags is a busy boy, all your eggs will be fertile. He doesn't have to mate each hen every single day, either - the eggs can be fertile for a couple of weeks. We have 100% fertility every time we incubate, thanks to Brooster and his 10 very happy wives.

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    How fun is that? It's great hatching your own chicks from your own birds and seeing how they turn out! (Of course, it's fun hatching shipped eggs, too, but of course eggs from our own birds are more successful! [​IMG]) I hope you have fun and don't get too carried away!

6. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by