I Got Fuzzy Butts Today - Pics and sad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2dream, Mar 5, 2008.

1. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Got my partial order from Ideal today. I was so upset. Opened the box and almost burst into tears. All but one of my Iowa Blues was laying on their sides stiff as a board. The one that was not layed over was squatting and lethargic. Only 2 of the packing peanuts were up and walking around peeping and one other was on its side but breathing. So, as I was checking each little baby I discovered that two of the Iowas were not completley gone. Breathing but barely. I just knew after I left them to go back to work I would come home to only two living chicks and both of those would be packing peanuts. Well surprise surprise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to add: 6 out of a box of 20 is not good but I guess these are better than none. Hope the ones coming in Friday are in better shape.
    Silkies and Amerucanas. I will definitely cry if my silkies don't make it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Tough little buggars aren't they! YAY for fluffy butts. How many were in your order?

3. 2dream

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Hi Silkie, I went back and edited my original post -
    There were 10 Iowa Blues and the 10 peanuts.

I must add here that Ideal was great when I called them. They suggested I wait until my 10 Silkies and 10 EEs arrive Friday and then call them with a total count of what does not make it.

You can't ask for more from a company than that.

4. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    What happened to the shipment? Ours came from Ideal and they were all OK. Did you pick them up from the Post Office or did the carrier deliver them? I'm glad you called Ideal? We hope your next delivery is 100% .[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  5. Mrs Chickenlady

Mrs Chickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Sorry about your lost babies...but Ideal has proven over and over that they'll make it right. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Friday's arrival has a better outcome [​IMG]

6. 2dream

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Quote:I am guessing just the freezing weather last night. Plus I was at the post office at 9 - (they would not let me in before then). The chicks were not there.
    I went back to work and had not been there 2 minutes when the PO called. They found my chicks.
    So I was standing at the window 2 min. later. I only work around the block from the P O so 2 min is all it took. She told me that they forgot to bring them from downtown with the rest of the priority mail and that the guy showed up right after I left.

Oh well, not much to do but be grateful for the little miracles that are left.

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I know the PO gets a bad reputation some times. But it truly depends on the PO. My PO could not have been any better. My Ideal Order came last week on day #2 and only one had passed. But on Day #1, the PO called the distribution center to make sure they were not there. And on day #2, they called me at 6:30 am to tell me they were there and to ring the back door to pick them up. Great service all the way around.

8. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I've never had something that bad happen from ideal. I'm sorry. order again from them. Sometimes it just happens. [​IMG]

9. 2dream

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    The Main PO in the town I lived in before would call me as soon as they got my chicks - even at midnight.
    I have picked up chicks all times of the night from there. Here is a little different but I understand -
    Jackson Mississippi made the top 10 for crime in the nation. Plus the PO is right across from the Federal Building. You don't just drive up and ring the bell unless of course you want to get arrested or shot. I have to wait for the chicks to arrive at my delivery station before I get the call.
    Ideals customer service has been excellent.
    I have no complaints. It just got to cold for the chicks. This next batch should be ok. I am glad now they had to split the shipment up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by