I got GREEN eggs finally YAY

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherLynn, Nov 2, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yep its all been worth it. I had 1 year with 6 EE's that never laid that got rehomed before we were able to move into the country. Then once we moved I got 2 more. They are probably about 8 months old and I GOT GREEN EGGS. YAYAYYAY

ok I am really excited and want more ee's now. I do have one questions though. Umm the eggs are a blue green. We are thinking its more green than blue but thats up for debate. Will it change later on? As far as I can tell these are first eggs. They had a tiny streak of blood on them and these are the first ones in the nest box.

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    My EE lays Green Eggs one day... then the next blue. I think it depends on what she eats Hope this helped~

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Here's an array of different "blues" and more on the khaki green side. Would you say they look anything like these or more on the green side?

[​IMG]

Congrats though. [​IMG]

It will not change much. Some will get just a tiny bit bluer in the next 2-5 eggs, then they'll keep whatever color they rest at. Otherwise, there will be no other color change. It has nothing to do with diet though.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Congratulations! [​IMG] It's so exciting to get that first blue or green egg, especially if you have children. My customers love it when I throw a few in the carton for them.

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Its kinda more like the ones on the far right side. A slightly dingy looking blue green. I am just so dang excited that I finally had some lay.

6. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I just got my very first egg ever yesterday (brown from a Orp/del cross) but one of my Orp/EE crosses started squatting on 10/31 - hopefully green eggs soon!

congrats!

Illia - those are some beautiful eggs!

7. plantmgr

plantmgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    I am waiting for green eggs too. I am disappointed to hear that yours didn't lay until 8 months old! I knew that EEs tend to start laying later than other breeds, but 8 MONTHS! Yikes. My 22 EE pullets are 20 wks today, and I was expecting eggs soon. I guess I won't hold my breath.

The only other chicken I have is a Gold Star who is a few months older. I get her one egg a day. At least that's something. [​IMG]

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    So pretty! Someday I want EE's..... [​IMG]

9. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    My EEs were the first of mine to lay. The first started at 5 months and the others soon followed. My Orpingtons were the late bloomers in my flock. They didn't start until just recently at 6 1/2 months. Also, my EE are pretty consistant and lay almost ever day now. I have noticed the color will vary from day to day but I think eventually it will settle in. Even the Orpingtons' brown eggs are still varying. One day is light brown, the next is dark brown and sometimes they are even pinkish brown. So, bottom line is, chickens are like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!

10. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    WHOOT!! That first colored egg is SO exciting!! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by