1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got him

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ilovechickens, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    After losing 6 chickens (2 layers, and 4 sixteen week old chicks) I set a live trap. The first two nights the food was gone, and the trap was sprung with no critter, so I went a purchased a larger trap and wrapped it with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and set it with cheese and apples, and when I went out to let the chickens out I checked the trap which is right behing and butted up against the coop with the chickens and there in it is a raccoon. I don't know if this is the critter that killed my chickens considering that two chicks were left dead in the middle of the pen, and the other two were taken. But it is a beginning :wee

2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    good job.

[​IMG]

3. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Yay! What did you do with it afterwards?

4. ilovechickens

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I didn't have much of a choice but to dispose of him. If I could of relocated him, I would of, but he was digging by the coop. I couldn't risk loosing any more chickens.[​IMG]

5. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Congratulations...Just make sure you keep the trap set a while to make sure there isn't another one around.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

May be more...coons seem to group together and PLAN! lol Good to know you got him [​IMG]

7. ilovechickens

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I set the trap last night and baited it with cheese and apples, and when I went out this morning to let out the chicken, [​IMG] there was another one quite a bit larger than the first one. Also I saw two red foxes running up the fence line, I am trying to figure out how to trap them. It looks like a male and female. Any suggestions:confused:

8. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    You might want to clean the trap with some diluted bleach in case of rabies...sometimes if a predator smells another animal that is caught it will avoid the trap...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by