i got information on chicks whose navels didn't close...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tebs78, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    My chick hatched today and his navel is still open and stuff kind of coming out. I believe some one else posted about this too recently. My brother-in-law is a vetranarian and he was over and he looked at my chick.
    He said that the umbilical cord was too short which caused a hernia when it came out of the shell. He poked it back in, but it didn't stay. He said to put antibiotic ointment on a qutip and keep gently pushing it back in and it MAY correct itself after a few days. He said if not, when the chick was eating and drinking okay and stablized he'd go in and fix it.

I just pray it makes it through the night. Its sure is peppy, but it still worries me.

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    How LUCKY you are to have a vet in the family, just watch the in-law jokes, lol.

Hope the little guy/gal will make it. [​IMG]

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I pray the little guy makes it.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

High temps at that egg can also lead to unhealed navals. I have had a few and they will dry up and become adsorbed over time. A chick who spent their time getting out should usually have their naval flush with their bodies and pulling on the cord should detach rather than pull out the yolk sac. I don't recomend ever pulling on a cord though as they should be allowed to dry and then snipped if the chick is still attached to the shell.

5. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    Well the temps WERE stable until the very end. I moved it to a different incubator and the temp did spike for an hour or so. But he TOOK his time getting out, but he was still attached to the egg for a while after. I did cut the cord myself because i was NOT going to pull on it and he was dragging it around lol.

6. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    oh and he's doing good this morning [​IMG]

7. mcamden

mcamden New Egg

Jan 27, 2008
    This happened to my chick. Sunday morning we found him, and I tried using newskin to close it. Two days into it and he is doing great. I hope yours pulls through!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by