I got more eggs ;)/are they ameraucana or EE's

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by conny63malies, Apr 24, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got new eggs today. I got me 6+banty ameraucanas of ebay. To my surprise i received 15 eggs!!!!!!!! Not a single one cracked or damaged. Nice green eggs. I got a link here from the auction with some pics of the rooster and the hens that laid them. Could you tell me if they are ameraucanas or EE's. I'll love them anyways and my kids are all crazy over the eggs colors.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160219846186
    I got my bator rolling last night. I guess i will put them in late tonight , so i can count tomorrow as day 1.
    Guess i am offically addicted now.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Look like Ameraucana adults to me. My eggs were all blue, so I don't know about the color difference there.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They look like wheaton ameraucanas to me. [​IMG]

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Oh goodie [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i was hoping they are real ameraucanas and not just EE's. It is so hard to find them and not just mutts that lay tinted eggs. I will try to keep as many pullets as i can from this hatch. Then the silikes and frizzles if there are any pullets. I might give some of my cochins away if i have more than 8-10 pullets.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They would be easter eggers. There are eight recognized colors of ameraucanas: black, blue, brown-red, buff, blue wheaten, wheaten, silver and white.

6+ Eggs. Bantam, Blue/Green eggs, Roo is pure white, hens are buff/blue, white, buff, buff/red.

Buff-blue is not a color, buff-red is not a color. When you breed even pure bred ameraucanas willy-nilly they turn into easter eggers as they no longer breed true. And given that the eggs are green in bantam varieties it leads me to believe they didn't start out as pure breds.

It really takes alot of time, energy and expense to breed correctly.​

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW.
    I saw that offering on eBay and I didn't think it sounded like they were true Ameraucanas, so I didn't bid on them.

I'm surprised that so many members seem to think that they are. I would have pegged them as EE's. Well, for your sake I hope I'm wrong; for my sake I hope I've finally figured out the difference.

Susan

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Pips&Peeps is right, Easter eggers, she knows what she is talking about. [​IMG]

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    awww drats , well at least we will still have some green eggs. Unless of course i get the eggs from the white hen and white rooster mating.I guess as long as they are healthy, it'll be alright

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

You got my interest up, so I'm browsing ebay now. It seems nearly all of the ameraucana listings are easter eggers. Even the ones that proclaim true ameraucanas are all flocks of a bunch of mixed colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by