i got more rabbits, long-pics of course

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by penelope77, Jun 29, 2008.

1. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    well i had to replace rabbits due to my snuffles outbreak. i found a fabulous breeder . anyway i posted this fabulous story of mine on another forum so i just copy and pasted it so i wouldn't have to type it all.

the man that sold them to me was awesome and his rabbits are beautiful too. one is a white new zealand that is 4 1/2 mos. and she is the most beautiful nz i have ever seen. they are all so healthy and they look like he bathes them. i know he doesn't but they are all so clean and soft. the one that is 4 1/2 mos is twice as big as one of my nz that is almost the same age. it's so great to find someone who really takes pride in his rabbits and is so helpful. origionally i had told him i needed six does but decided i shouldn't spend that much and told him what i could spend. i figured i'd end up getting three. he brought six and sold them to me for what i could spend because he had heard my kiddos in the background when i was on the phone. he wanted to make sure we would have plenty of meat for all of us all the time. he was a single father of i believe he said six kids and now is raising two grandchildren on his own too. it isn't often you meet people so kind and i just had to share this story of mine with all of you. i can't wait to see what these girls produce for me cause i have a few really nice bucks that i think will work well.

another thing i noticed about him and also from the man i got my satin buck(now dead) and my satin/nz doe from is the excitement they have when talking about their rabbits. there is a energy there that i have not found in other rabbit breeders. it's such a difference. this also helps me with setting my guidelines from who i purchase from. it's as though their energy spills over to their rabbits. heck over on to me too. i could hardly sleep lastnight i am so excited about these new girls. well here are the pictures. they are all in the cage together cause i had just got them home. my son was having trouble holding the white one cause she was pretty nervous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    How cute! You are right, the white one is very white! Will these be for meat only? How old do they have to be in order to butcher?

Sounds like you had a wonderful experience!

3. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    well i will keep their best offspring for breeding/selling/meat. butcher happens by 12wks at latest to be a fryer usually weighing in around 4-5lbs. you can after 12wks but like chickens it would be a broiler and if it's really old your looking at the slow cooker. hopefully we'll have meat by winter. i had a really bad start so this is try number two.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    wow! thos look great penelope77! When/If they have babies you HAVE to show us pics [​IMG]. Also, my neighbors have a gray new zealand and she has two week old kits(is that the term???) They have their eyes open and already hopping around. Is there anything I should tell my neighbors regarding requirements that come with their age? oh and she had five [​IMG]

5. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    yes kits is the term. five is a nice litter for a first time. the man i got these from said his girls have 10-14 sometimes and have no problems raising them. i'm not sure what you mean by requirements. if we're talking feed then they will nibble pellets, hay, and drink water with the mama when they are ready to. i had one start trying stuff out at 2 wks. i loe when they start hopping around. they are so cute with their short little ears. i will definitely post pics when they have babies. i have two already that if prego should be due soon.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    ok thats great! what i meant by requirements is like, when do they need to be separated? when can they be taken away? stuff like that.

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Congrats on the new rabbits. I have been raising rabbits for years now and love the enjoyment I get from them. Mine are raised for meat. My last litter was 10 kits. I can't beleive she could nurse that many. I have always wanted to get the New Zealand rabbits, but I always go back to the Mini Rex. Once again congrats.

8. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i let mine stay with mama till about half way through her next pregnancy, or until it's too crowded. if they want to have a point when they seperate them then 6-8 wks is good. she will wean them on her own during that time anyway. if they are pestering her really bad to the point she is getting aggressive (though i haven't had that problem) then they can seperate them i'd say as long as they are 6 wks. some people wean at 4 wks but i like them to stay together as long as possible. i think it's easier on them and better for them.

9. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    new zealands are great, of course i like the satins and standard rex too. i have a black satin/nz mix that is really pretty. nice large compact thing she is. her first litter was five and only two lived but they are really pretty, kind of a dark brownish red color. the daddy was a red satin. the satins are big sweeties, well mine are anyway as are my nz but the kids and i handle them alot. hmmmm mini rex for meat? appetizer bunny? no really, what weight are they when you butcher?

10. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    woohoo, i jsut went outside and fuzzball, a nz (not the new ones) is pulling hair and making a lovely nest. this is her first so i hope it goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by