I got movement in first egg, and a hole starting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by digger455, Aug 22, 2010.

1. digger455

digger455 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Here they come, first one is getting a hole started. Should I be getting a vent open on the bater???? How long does it take from here?? Hey anouther one is starting to crack a little. I have them in egg carton in there will they be able to get around when it is time??
    Will keep you updated. Thanks everyone for help so far.

Digger

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations, you are hatching chicks! [​IMG]

It can take what seems like forever, 24 hours and a bit more. They stop to rest quite often. But sometimes you get one who just can't wait to get out!

As far as the vents, it depends on what kind of incubator. I have a Genesis 1588 and it only has one plug, which stays in during hatching to keep the humidity up. I hatch in cut down cartons and they have no trouble getting around.

Hope you have a 100% hatch!

3. digger455

digger455 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I have a little giant bator. Can see the beak on one egg right now anouther one just a bit of a crack is starting. That is 3 now.

4. digger455

digger455 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Went to town and just got back. Not a thing moving in the one I seen the beak on. You can see something outside the hole in the egg but is not moving at all. It is a little juicey around whatever that is comming out of there. I hope it is ok. Oh well going to be nuts before this is over.

Digger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by