I got muscovies!!! NOW I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by java girl 2, Apr 9, 2012.

1. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    HELP!!!!! I got Muscovy ducks!!! [​IMG] 1 male and 2 hens and need some Q answered. I have a deep waterer but it only go's up to where the nostril is, is this enough or does it need to be deeper? can the male breed the hens without water? I think they are 2 years old, will the hens still lay when the weather is warmer? is there anyway to tell the age of them and if the hens will lay? is it OK for them to have layer feed or do they need something different? any and all help is appreciated!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Congratulations!!!

My Khaki drake will breed *anywhere*! I don't think Muscovy ducks are prolific layers, but, yes they should still lay. Layers feed is ok, but I give mine marmite on toast for an extra vitamin boost (and as a treat).

Hopefully, someone more knowledgable will be along soon [​IMG] Enjoy your ducks!

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    They DEFINITELY need another water source. Something deep enough to submerge their entire head, but not one they can get in and poop in.
    2 of my muscovies like the pool and two don't. But they ALL like the large shallow pans I put out for bathing. I would recommend that also. That is very important.

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Also, might idea to go on this forum and search for "new ducks" posts and read them. I am a big proponent of doing research BEFORE getting a new pet. Solves a lot of uncertainty.

5. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    they will breed without water, my drakes breed anywhere they can[​IMG] and as said above they need water deep enough to stick there head in and blow out the crud in the nostril holes(dont know what they are called). they'll start laying once they settle in, i've had ducks that have taken 6 weeks to lay after i've bought them.

6. java girl 2

May 17, 2011
    NY

I thout so but was not sure. any idea on how to tell the age??

7. java girl 2

May 17, 2011
    NY

oh good, then they just need the deep waterer to clean the head and nostril. I know that they need it for the nostrils but was not sure if they needed to do the whole head!

8. java girl 2

May 17, 2011
    NY

for all of the animals I get, I do my research before I get them but I could not find any info on this breed on-line and I just thought of coming on here to ask. they are for breeding to have the duckings for meat, not pets. that why I got the older ones, save time to just breed them for the ducklings. I know how to care for the duckings but not the older ducks thats why I was asking about the full grown ducks!!

9. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    And that is what the forums are for java girl 2 - to ask questions about things you are uncertain of [​IMG]

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My muscovy don't like to swim but do enjoy a kiddie pool to bathe in. They will lay in the warm weather, they are a tropical bird. You are up north so they will probably be seasonal layers unless you subliment heat and light. They are supossed to be good moms but there are many on here that have had bad muscovy moms. Congrats on your new birds. One thing to remember is that they take longer to mature so 16-24 weeks until [​IMG]

They are delicious. [​IMG]

Here is my next genration that hatched on 4/4.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by