i got my 1st chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencity, Feb 21, 2009.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    my chicks starting peeping this morning and one just hatched. how long should i wait b-4 i take it out and put it in the brooder?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Do not open the hatcher untill the hatch is finished ! If you do you could lose the other chicks by letting the humidity drop. They absorb the yolk sac and are fine for 2 or 3 days in the hatcher.

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Take them out after eight hours or until totally dry. Goodluck.

4. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I usually leave them in there till all have hatched. I wait til they are fluffy and dry about 24hours post no possiblity of hatching. Just be patient, and congrats on the chick and don't forget the pics once they are all dried.

5. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I would not open the bator until they are hatched. They (as said above) will be fine for 2 to 3 days. Congrats!!! What are you hatching? [​IMG]

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Go to he learning center and read. There is alot of information there. You will get different opinions but there is no need to take them out until hatch is complete. You will put unhatched eggs at risk !

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i usually wait till he majority off the eggs are hatched and they are all running around and i only take the fluffy ones to the brooder

8. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    i make sure they are dry and fluffy and moveing around very well best to wait till you have at least 2 or 3 tho i slip thelm out quickly and the empty shells as well this gives the others more room as they hatch you can move thelm out to quickly will cause some legg problems (or so i belive) just wait till they are fluffy and moveing around. congrads on your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by