I got my babies from Ideal!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunshineinsc, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sunshineinsc

sunshineinsc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    columbia,sc
    The post office called at 6:16 this morning. Best wake up call I've gotten in a long time! Dh wasn't as thrilled. LOL

All 18 arrived happy and loud!! They are running around and eating.

Since these are my first babies I have a few questions.
    If they don't stay under the heat lamp that means they are not cold right?
    They eat constantly! That's ok? They won't over eat will they?
    I got 6 yellow packing peanuts, any idea what they might be?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:if they are cold, they will huddle. if they are just right, they will spread out and do their 'chicken things'...eating, drinking and mostly sleeping.

yes, food should be available 24/7 for chicks.

can you post a picture of the peanuts?

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats!!! We need pics! Yes, they'll get under the heat lamp when they are cold. Yes, they eat constantly. If your packing peanuts are plain yellow they're probably some kind of white leghorn....

4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Congratulations! I'm glad all of yours arrived safe. Our PO 'wake up' call came at 9 this morning. It looks like we have the same age babies, coming from the same place too. [​IMG]

What breed/s did you get?

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    that makes me feel better. my chicks should be here from ideal in the morning. all the talk of dead chicks this week had me worried.

6. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    [email protected] :

that makes me feel better. my chicks should be here from ideal in the morning. all the talk of dead chicks this week had me worried.

Oh I know how you feel! I had to get my local PO worker to open the box first for me to warn of any dead babies. I didn't want to be the first to see them. He cooperated with me and, luckily, there were no deaths. They were very loud! I think the workers were glad when I took them.

But yeah, same here. I heard of everyone opening their box and finding everyone dead. I was almost dreading them coming in.

I hope you are as blessed as we were! Good luck! [​IMG]

7. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    Just FYI, My packing peanuts on Dec 4 were BO Roos. My main order was 13 barred rock pullets so I think they sent the yellow chicks so I could clearly tell the difference.

Montyhp

8. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    thanks cbea. went by post office this morning to give them my # and she smiled and assured me that they will call asap. says they are cute but way too loud. lol What have i gotten myself into.

9. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    [email protected] :

thanks cbea. went by post office this morning to give them my # and she smiled and assured me that they will call asap. says they are cute but way too loud. lol What have i gotten myself into.

lol ya mine werentt to loud!​

10. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    [email protected] :

lol i did the same thing and told them to call me no matter what time they came in and i ended up getting them at 3AM lol​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by