1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got my DUCKS!!! Check out my bator *pics* NEED ADVICE :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DeeThomas, Mar 25, 2009.

1. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Okay, I just got an assortment of duck eggs today my incubator is made with a heating blanket that does not cut off. and it is at 97-98 degress and its still adjusting to max temp. Im watching it a ton. Does anyone have any advice my humidity is at almost 60 and i put a cup of water in it so that should do the trick. Here is my rig tell me what you think. and what i should know for ducks. thsi is my first time hatching anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi Dee,
    Do you have any holes in your homemade bator that allows air to come in?
    Carolyn

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    That is a very interesting set up. Plz keep this updated so we see how your hatch ends.

4. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    In the back i have a giant hole that is not exposed to open air but is exposed to the back of the covers. so i think air will be able to get in.

5. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    The hole is about 2 in in diameter. so not too big.

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I forgot:
    [​IMG]
    Dee you may want to do a search on this forum for hatching duck eggs to find what the optimal temp and humidity is for your duck eggs.
    Carolyn

7. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    This is very interesting. I have actually been wondering why no incubators are made out of heated blakents as this seems to be closer to "natural" the normal incubators. So it is interesting to see someone put this to the test.
    Do make sure you have air circulating as you want to make sure your eggs can "breathe"!
    Keep us updated.

8. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    I sure will. i will be updating and candeling and posting.[​IMG] we should sticky this topic. its a test.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by