I got my Emu & Ostrich a weasel ball...

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by moonjelly, Dec 3, 2013.

1. moonjelly

moonjelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    I was trying to think of some toys or enrichment for my emu and ostrich chicks. I found this weasel ball at the store and I thought the snake like movement might appeal to them. It was a huge success, especially for the emu. They had a ton of fun 'scaring' themselves with it and in the end finally caught up with the sneaky weasel ball and 'killed' it. Crazy birds. I filmed the whole thing and I'm posting it below if you want to check it out. Next I'm going to try a rolling treat ball like they make for dogs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I was thinking about getting either emus or ostriches a few years down the road. Wondered if you could tell what they run per pair.

3. JenandHerQuails

JenandHerQuails Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    [​IMG] That was great! I love the emus going crazy jumping around it. And when the ostrich coming in all puffed. Love it! I'm hoping to hatch two emus in January since I found a farm 20 minutes away who has eggs. No shipping! [​IMG] Just have to get them to hatch......

4. moonjelly

Apr 10, 2013
    I love these guys! I want to get another pair of Emu eggs this laying season, but I'm torn because they're so expensive to feed.

Brahma- I think it varies depending upon where you are in the country. Personally, I paid $35 for each of my Emu eggs. Of course there is no guarantee that the eggs will develop, but both of mine did. Definitely a steal for such great animals. I got my eggs from ebay. The ostrich I paid $150 a chick at 1 week of age. Which I also think is a fantastic price. However, ostrich chicks are pretty delicate, especially under 3 months of age, so the risk of losing one is high.

5. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Hmmm seems like if I 'shop' around I'd be able to find some for decent prices.

6. moonjelly

Apr 10, 2013
    They're pretty reasonable, but the monthly food bill is high. Especially with the ostriches, cause well they're giant birds... [​IMG]

7. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Haha I can imagine. I have Brahmas and they already eat a ton of feed.

8. Ellamumu

Ellamumu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    NH
    Great video, I just ordered one on ebay for my guys, for the last couple days they have been playing with a stuffed car from the cars movie that makes noise when they touch it, I love them so much, they play with everything!

9. TheNuttyChick

TheNuttyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    CT
    Great video! Laughing so hard I was crying, especially love the Emu! I wish I had enough room for them, maybe one day. I'm always afraid with the New England weather, may I ask where you are located?

10. birdeo

birdeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    that's funny , thanks for sharing !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by