I got my first duck egg today!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] First duck egg was found this morning - I ended up [​IMG] Dancing like a loon berry and singing to the world that I got the first egg. [​IMG] Pretty sure my DH thought I was the loon berry!!! And of course with the negative temps that we have gotten the egg was frozen but I am still very eggcited!!!

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    YAY congrats!! [​IMG]

I was excited when I got my first egg too. I even took pics. [​IMG]

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Ducks weren't sure what to do with all the praise I was giving them [​IMG] I would have taken a picture but since it was already cracked from being frozen I figured the next one will be picture ready!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hooray! What a joy!
    [​IMG]

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I did too! and i must admit, I was a little confused--it was the coldest day of the year, why on earth woudl they lay in -15C weather? But I'm not complaining [​IMG]

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Quote:[​IMG] It is a bit funny to think she started in -15+ degrees I figured with the cold snap I wouldn't see any until it warmed up a bit. Oh well not complaining just a bit confused as well!!! Glad you also got an egg [​IMG]:ya

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Quote:Perhaps your ducks didn't read the book that says they don't lay in the dark of winter. [​IMG]

Mine didn't read the section on being cold hardy.

8. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Quote:Perhaps your ducks didn't read the book that says they don't lay in the dark of winter. [​IMG]

Mine didn't read the section on being cold hardy.

Two of the breeds are supposed to lay year round so I have been waiting, and waiting and WAITING for eggs. But I guess I didn't think I would see any until it was over 0 at least. I know if I were to lay an egg I wouldn't even think about it until spring (good thing I don't lay eggs) I am still surprised I am getting any chicken eggs in this cold!

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations [​IMG]. Im on week 23 with my babies and in still waiting for an egg from them...surely it cant be long now.

10. Quote:Wait! You're in Canada and your MUSCOVIES have just started laying in the coldest part of winter?!!
    So do you give them extra light, or heat their coop, or whaaaat? [​IMG]
    Maybe the increase in daylight this time of year is more dramatic up there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by