I got my first egg! EVER!

ChickenLeo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Brownsville, Oregon
So, I am new to raising chickens, have never had them before in my life, and wasn't really sure that I wanted to take on the task, but my wife wanted them. We got 12 chicks on March 15, 2010, this year. I became rapidly obsessed and the chickens became an intense hobby for me. I have been wondering how long it would be before eggs began to appear and well, today was the day. I went out to check on them and open the coop to the run. I always gather the two waterers, rinse and fill them first and take both, along with the feed back in to the coop and run. Well, I noticed that one of the nest boxes looked like it had an ACTUAL nest in it, rather than just the straw I filled it with, so I went to look and sure enough, laying smack-dab in the middle was a perfectly-shaped and beautifully even-colored brown egg, about half the size of the store-bought eggs in the fridge. I freaked out (in a good way) grabbed the egg and ran back to the house, through the kitchen, up the stairs, across the bedroom, into the bathroom and shoved the egg up in front of my wife's face as she was getting out of the shower. I forgot to feed the chickens and remembered an hour and a half later when I went out to mow the lawn!
It's nice to see your hard work pay off (or at least start to), other than having big beautiful birds to enjoy, that is.
Funny thing is, I think my wife is a little ticked off because she lost the race! We were betting on whether or not the chickens would start laying first or she would have our baby first. Due date there is July 8. She told me I would be in big trouble if I wind up seeming more excited over the egg than I seem when our son is born here soon! lol

Me Too!
lol.png
I was pleasantly surprised last week to find our first egg! We had put a yellow and a green plastic egg in each of the two nest boxes. I don't know if the chickens are smart enough to disregard the strange colors, but just to be 'correct', I spray painted them white. Wouldn't you know, the next day I found a little brown egg alongside the white egg. after we got three more, we scrambled them with some store bought eggs,some cheese, and they were uncommonly good! I fear they will not return to the nest because they are let out to free range around ten o'clock. I keep looking, but have not found any eggs where they range. Should I keep them in longer?

Back
Top Bottom