I got my first egg out of my 2 red sex links this morning :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbtwomey, Jul 23, 2011.

1. sbtwomey

sbtwomey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    I had been noticing the one acting wierd the last week or so when i would go to touch her she would lean forward and spread her wings a little and it seemed like she was in heat and preparing to be mounted. Then this morning I got my first egg, and as of today the other chicken is now doing the whole lean forward and spread her wings a little and kinda put her butt up in the air kinda like the other was doing starting last week. I hope this means that she will be laying soon too [​IMG] I have had these 2 for exactly 4 weeks now, and they are now 22 weeks old. Very nice hens, very friendly.
    This first egg was just a bit on the small side, but shaped perfect, a light brown. tossed it in the frying pan this morning too.....yummy [​IMG]

2. sbtwomey

Jun 23, 2011
    how do i attach a pic in the posts? i wanted to show the first egg

3. lovin'my12chicks

lovin'my12chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I believe you have to have 10 posts first before it will let you put pics on here.......anyway congrats on the first egg.........I can't wait till mine start laying. They are 16 weeks now.

4. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    If they are doing the squat eggs are soon to follow [​IMG]
    Congrats!![​IMG]

I think you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can add pics, but I don't know how many.

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
  6. sbtwomey

Jun 23, 2011
    [​IMG]
    First egg from this morning [​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Congrats, we got our first egg in last 2 weeks and it is a great feeling! [​IMG]

8. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. sbtwomey

Jun 23, 2011
    I got another egg that same morning(Saturday) and then another yesterday morning. That makes 3 this weekend. I am pretty sure all from the same chicken, my other isnt laying yet it seems. soon though, she just started doing the "squat" when i get close to her a couple days ago

10. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Ooooooo, I Can't. WAIT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by